SCSF and Orcas?

Topics: CAB & Smart Client Software Factory
Apr 30, 2007 at 9:43 AM
Hi, just wondering is the SCSF fully compatible with Orcas Beta 1?
Coordinator
Apr 30, 2007 at 5:04 PM
Possibly.
We are not testing the SCSF May 2007 update on Orcas at all (ei Beta 1, Beta 2, etc). If you can get it to work, great, but we are not supporting it.

Now, I know the next question will be "Why are we not supporting Orcas?"

If we spent the time ensuring that SCSF worked on Orcas Beta 1, there would not be an update to support WPF interop (and everything else) coming out in the next few weeks. Instead of working on that, we would have spent our limited development and testing resources on compatability with a platform that will change before it ships in a final version.

I am fairly confident that after Orcas ships there will be some sort of compatibility update. However, we are in the middle of planning for next fiscal year, and things are up in the air. So there are no promises at this point.
May 1, 2007 at 3:19 PM
Hello. Sorry for my bad english.
I use Orcas and SCSF for create new application. Everything work fine. I create blank smart project with business and foundation modules in VS with SCSF. Then open this new project in Orcas. Orcas update smart application succefully without errors.

Jul 10, 2007 at 6:30 PM

SlyEjik wrote:
Hello. Sorry for my bad english.
I use Orcas and SCSF for create new application. Everything work fine. I create blank smart project with business and foundation modules in VS with SCSF. Then open this new project in Orcas. Orcas update smart application succefully without errors.

Sly: thanks for your post. GAX/GAT needs be updated to work in Orcas is the only issue that I have read about regarding this issue.

I am planning to take the same path that you have using VS2005 to generate, and Orcas (for LINQ) to build it.

This is our plan until the GAX/GAT is updated for Orcas and the factories can be run there.

John
Jul 25, 2007 at 9:04 AM
GAT(3.1) has been released for Orcas. Given this, how feasible is it to compile the software factory in Orcas using this? If its possible, I may give it a shot.

Regards
Darren
Jul 25, 2007 at 3:37 PM

darrenarbell wrote:
GAT(3.1) has been released for Orcas. Given this, how feasible is it to compile the software factory in Orcas using this? If its possible, I may give it a shot.

Regards
Darren

Will this not first require rewriting all of the factories' recipies? Plus have the factories' installation find Orcas and embed itself there?
Jul 25, 2007 at 9:27 PM
I don't know, that's why I'm asking the question. I thought that GAT was an abstraction over VS. So I would of thought that recipes would run against the same GAT interface just using the ocas implementation. Thats probably a simplistic view, but a normal approach I would of thought?
Developer
Aug 28, 2007 at 11:45 AM
Maybe you can find useful the following post I have just published:

How-To: Smart Client Software Factory (SCSF) & Visual Studio Orcas Beta 2

Please let me know if this helps,

Ezequiel Jadib
http://staff.southworks.net/blogs/ejadib