App.Settings+CAB problem

Topics: CAB & Smart Client Software Factory
Feb 1, 2007 at 7:00 PM
I have an Application using the CAB, the problem is that once I have installed my application and I try change values in my App.config file it doesn't reflect this changes in my application, it look like all the information of my configuration file was embedded in the dll's, and don't go to read my app.Config file directly.

I created another project without using the CAB and in this application when I change something in my app.Config file it reflects on my application...

any help would be great thanks...
Feb 1, 2007 at 9:56 PM
Often times when you compile an application your app.config file will be renamed to whatever your application name is. So, suppose I have an application called Payroll. My app.config file would be named Payroll.app.config. Check your bin/debug and bin/release directories for config files similiarly named.
Feb 1, 2007 at 11:19 PM
I change the right files, and it just doesn't work, the application continues with the same values until I compile again...
Feb 2, 2007 at 12:18 AM
Right click your app.config file in Visual Studio and check the "properties" page. The first item should be "Build Action". Set it to None. It sounds like your build action is set to "compile" or "Embedded resource". So make sure to check that.

Feb 2, 2007 at 1:35 AM
The build action property was set to "content", I changed it to "None" but the result was the same...
Feb 5, 2007 at 1:35 PM
Just to be curious. Exactly what are you trying to change in your config file? are you doing it on the fly or do you restart your application after making the changes? I am assuming this is a desktop aplication, not a mobile one.
Feb 9, 2007 at 11:36 PM
yes it's a desktop application and I'm trying to change little aspects of my application, like the title of the main window, the version of the current application and other details like that as well as other more important things as connection strings.

we make the changes with the application entirely stopped and then we run it...
Feb 10, 2007 at 12:49 AM
It's weird. The only thing I can think of is to check again the properties for the file (None and Copy Always). BTW how are you reading the config settings? using the old 1.1 interface? the new one? or some other way?

If you can hang a little example from an url, reproducing the problem, it would be great. As far as I know CAB does not touch options on the config except for a very few ones directly related to it.

Flaker