a question from newbie: User Authentication

Topics: Updater Application Block
Dec 3, 2004 at 6:09 AM
originally posted by: portage

Hi,

I am a beginner to UAB. I put my files in a server. Then I use Manifest Utility to generate a Manifest.xml. First thing I try to do is to download Manifest file. I can not make it. I don't know what is going on. Please take a look at error message below. Any help will be appreiciated.

BTW, where can I find a good tutorial ? or some HOW-TOs ? Thanks !

BITSDownloader :
The BITS service returned an error for the job with the ID 'ca0c38e4-c318-4f7b-92ed-d616cde94aa9';
the job's name and description are 'Updater job.' and 'Updater: Download the Server XML File.'.
The BITS service error message for this job is
'The requested resource requires user authentication.

'.
This job has been canceled, and the DownloaderManager will attempt it again. If you see this error frequently, you may have a mis-configuration, or another
administrator process/user is canceling BITS jobs.
It is also possible that some mis-configuration of the Manifest file is causing BITS to have trouble with a source or destination path;
be sure that all SOURCE paths are valid URLs, and that all DESTINATION paths are valid LOCAL UNC paths--_shares are not allowed_.
Dec 6, 2004 at 1:34 AM
originally posted by: nyajaman

Have you tried the BITS 2.0 fix.

Check the releases section for the BITS 2.0 fix.

Thanks.
Dec 7, 2004 at 6:01 AM
originally posted by: portage

I downloaded it before. But I don't know how to update this into my computer. All codes are in C#. I am using VB.Net. Will it make difference in my project ? More help needed. Please

Thanks !
Jan 9, 2005 at 9:01 AM
originally posted by: figuerres2

I am able to do C# and VB....

I am working thru the samples and building a VB "Updater" for my use.

if you are still stuck post back and I'll try to help.
Jan 10, 2005 at 6:01 AM
originally posted by: mclevenger1

This sounds like an IIS setting, not any thing to do w/the UAB. To verify, hit the URL for the manifest file using Internet Explorer and see if you're able to reach it.

If not, check the settings in IIS for the directory where the manifest file is stored and ensure anonymous authentication is enabled. In the IIS console, right click on the directory and select properties. Go to the Directory Security tab and under "Anonymous access and authentication control" click edit- check the Anonymous access option.