Required update?

Topics: Updater Application Block
Dec 10, 2003 at 5:27 AM
originally posted by: wsabey

Has anyone added a flag to designate that an update is required? It currently allows the user to skip an available update. Some updates are required while others are optional.
Dec 10, 2003 at 8:24 AM
originally posted by: JamesCadd

If you're versioning with the scheme Major.Minor.Build.Revision you could make any updates with a newer major minor or build required, but leave updates to revision as optional.
Dec 10, 2003 at 9:45 AM
originally posted by: wsabey

In OnUpdateAvailableHandler the decision to download the next version is presented and the user may say no thanks.

If I use the version nbrs as you suggest Jim, I suppose I could make the decision based on that. I'll think on that.

I was leaning toward adding a setting to servermanifest to indicate the version is required. We could use this info to change the decision dialog to not allow a No. Has anyone else tried this? I realize this would be more changes to the underlying manager and manifest config.
Dec 10, 2003 at 10:28 AM
originally posted by: Duncanma

I think that is a great idea... post your change and maybe we can try to standardize on it for those that want this.

I'd add a "Mandatory" or "Required" flag to the manifest and a corresponding checkbox to the manifest utility... and then I wouldn't even prompt the user when a mandatory update was being downloaded, just on the "do you want to quit/restart" question.