Partial Updates

Topics: Updater Application Block
Apr 14, 2005 at 3:44 AM
originally posted by: RajAlan

I want to be able to download only files that have changed. To enable this the documentation states that the manifest file needs to be modified.

Can someone tell me how does the hash value in the manifest file change automatically everytime a file has changed. Or should it be manually updated by using the Manifest Editor tool?
Apr 14, 2005 at 11:42 AM
originally posted by: chester_cyyang

Use Manifest Editor Tool.
Apr 19, 2005 at 7:32 AM
originally posted by: RajAlan

Thanks chester_cyyang.
Apr 29, 2005 at 12:29 AM
originally posted by: erija

When I use partial updates I suppose that only changed files should be downloaded from the server. If the hash value provided for each file in the Manifest is equal to the hash value calculated on the client by the validate hash processor the file shouldn’t be downloaded to the client. As I understand it, it’s the Manifest editor tool that calculates the hash value and writes it down in the Manifest file for each file specified.

However, there must be something that goes wrong somewhere, because I can see that all files get downloaded to my client even though it’s exactly same version on the server as it is on the client. Any ideas about what the problem can be?

I have also applied the bug fix reported by chriscb33 but it makes no difference:

“ == Opened by chriscb33 @ 4/21/2005 10:31:32 AM ===
The ValidateHashProcessor included in the 2.0 release is not correctly computing the hash key when validating the hash key in the manifest against the computed value of a downloaded file. The result, of course, is the the ValidateHashProcessor will always error out regardless of whether or not the downloaded file is correct.

Cause: Termination character should be stripped after reading the file into memory, before the call to Cryptographer.CompareHash in Execute(). (as is done in the Manifest Manager's FileHashHelper). ”
Apr 29, 2005 at 3:15 AM
originally posted by: AnuragRastogi

Hi ,
make sure that you had changed the Manifest ID of the files that you need to update and putted their entries in the main manifest file(Manifest.xml) .