Download Via Web Service anyone??

Topics: Updater Application Block
Dec 14, 2004 at 11:08 AM
originally posted by: figuerres2

has this been done ?

I am thinking of:

have the server zip the files and attach them to a Web Service reply message with DIME

advantages:

No BITS
can be Secured with many methods (passwords, private keys, HTTPS etc...)
should work for clients on older (Win 2000 for example) OS versions.
should cross firewalls easy
can be done Async and in background

disadvantages:
binaray attachment of a large file may be large to transfer.

any ideas / comments?

I think most .Net dll's and .exe's tend to be small so that if ziped and sent one at a time they will be small and fast to send.
Jan 5, 2005 at 11:02 AM
originally posted by: nyajaman

BITS also provides some other cool features in addition to trickle bandwidth usage. It supports downloads across machine restarts, supports recovery from errors and reports progress.

As you mention web service based downloads have their advantages. As long as the download is just one file it is easy to implement - but once it goes beyond one file other issues like how to recover from errors become critical.

Definitely please post your thoughts and this is a good discussion to continue.

Thanks.
Jan 6, 2005 at 7:18 AM
originally posted by: figuerres2

well at this time I'll say that I did not know what "BITS" was and how it works.

so now I have understood that in a way it IS a web service!

that is to say it uses http / IIS to send files via port 80 or SSL 443

so I guess the question is how often does a developer need to update an app where the client OS does not ship with BITS ?

I think the cases where BITS is not supported is Windows 9x

I have looked at the Updater 2.0 and it refers to a requirement of XP
that is not so good... I have two large customers who could benifet from auto-update functions but the IT group has them all on Win 2000 Pro.

but thats a 2.0 thing to look at.

so far as using a ws method and failure stuff my idea was:

like BITS go get a manafest and use it on the client to grab each file, verify the file and mark it done.

one area where this is of larger interest is that BITS is a SLOW transfer in general.
a WS based update might be a lot faster.

and if you have fat pipes and such you could run a number of ws requests for files async and perhaps from different servers to get a kind of "Torrent" like update going....

thats it for now, now to figure out an error I have.