Help with meaning of log error

Topics: Updater Application Block
Jul 9, 2004 at 8:30 AM
originally posted by: smh1

I have been successfully downloading updated versions of my sample app, but have not been able to start the new version automatically, even though the appstartconfig file is updated to the next version number. (I have been using the code from Duncan MacKenzie's blog and Zac's post. I receive no error, just a log entry after validation and download that the process has stopped.

Since the UAB quickstart app sample works perfectly, I thought I would modify my code to exactly the same as the quickstart app and see then if I can get autorestart. However, now running this new app I get this following error. Can anyone give me a handle on this error or explain why my other sample app might not be auto restarting with the updated app?

Thanks for any help on this

smHaig

DownloaderManager.BeginFileDownloads :
A general error occurred updating the application 'updaterTestApp'.
ERROR: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
STACK: at System.Windows.Forms.Control.MarshaledInvoke(Control caller, Delegate method, Object[] args, Boolean synchronous)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.Invoke(Delegate method, Object[] args)
at updaterTestApp.Form1.OnUpdaterUpdateAvailable(Object sender, UpdaterActionEventArgs e)
at Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.ApplicationUpdater.ApplicationUpdateManager.OnUpdateAvailable(Object sender, UpdaterActionEventArgs e) in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Application Blocks for .NET\Updater\Code\CS\Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.Updater\Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.ApplicationUpdater\ApplicationUpdater.cs:line 443
at Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.ApplicationUpdater.DownloaderManager.OnUpdateAvailable() in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Application Blocks for .NET\Updater\Code\CS\Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.Updater\Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.ApplicationUpdater\DownloaderManager.cs:line 198
at Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.ApplicationUpdater.DownloaderManager.BeginFileDownloads() in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Application Blocks for .NET\Updater\Code\CS\Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.Updater\Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.ApplicationUpdater\DownloaderManager.cs:line 494

ApplicationUpdateManager.StopUpdater :
The Updater is stopping updates for the application named 'updaterTestApp'. Time stopped: 20040708_13:29:10.
Jul 10, 2004 at 5:14 AM
originally posted by: gloehr

That's a generic object reference error. You have a null reference occurring in the code somewhere, for some reason. You'd have to run in debug mode and step through to figure it out. I would start by putting a breakpoint on the sub that handles the .beginFileDownloads event.