Server does not support the Range Protocol error

Topics: Updater Application Block
Oct 21, 2005 at 7:57 AM
originally posted by: PhilDorr

Hello,

I’m new to working with UAB, and I have what hopefully is an easy problem to solve.

On some client machines, the call to the Download method of ApplicationUpdaterManager throws an exception. The message on the exception is:

The server does not support the necessary HTTP protocol. Background Intelligent Transfer service (BITS) requires that the server support the range protocol header.

However, on other machines no exception is thrown. This implies that some thing is set incorrectly on some of our workstations.

All the workstations are running Windows XP Professional. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to look to correct this problem?

Thanks in advance for you help.

Phil
Oct 21, 2005 at 1:03 PM
originally posted by: PhilDorr

I believe I have resolved this problem. Originally, I thought the suggestion in the Updater Application Block v2.0 FAQ for this error did not apply in this case because it was working for some workstations and not others. However my problem was that a .config file was in the download directory and manifest. I don’t know why it was working for some workstations and not others, but now it works from all that I’ve tested so far.

BTW, The exception that was being thrown was:
Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.Updater.Downloaders.BitsDownloadErrorException