Download authentication error

Topics: Updater Application Block
Aug 30, 2005 at 2:06 AM
originally posted by: shinmen

Hi,

I'm having problems with the BITS Downloader. The UAB processes the manifest and finds 28 files to download. But when the BITS Downloader tries to download the files it throws an exception:

"The client does not have sufficient access rights to the requested server object."

I have enabled anonymous access on the remote IIS server I'm using, added .dll and .exe as MIME types, and the permissions on the actual folder allows everyone full control (I won't be leaving it like that). I can download the files manually through Internet Explorer so I think the file permissions are as they should be.

I've tried using NTLM authentication as well as specifying a username/password but it comes up with the same error.

The other question I have is which BITS authentication type to use if I want to allow anonymous access in the future?

Any pointers in the right direction would be much appreciated!
Aug 31, 2005 at 11:47 PM

I have now tried this using just text files and it works correctly. However, the file which gives the error message is UpdaterConfiguration.config.
Aug 31, 2005 at 11:56 PM

I think the problem is down to my MIME type for the .config files as .dll and .exe files all work.

I've searched for the appropriate MIME type for .config files but can't find it. Does anyone know what it should be?

Thanks.
Sep 1, 2005 at 12:27 AM

I've now tried:

application/octet-stream
text/plain
text/xml

and none of these work. I have also now tried to save the file using Internet Explorer and it won't give me access. I have tried several different .config files and they all result in the same error.
Sep 1, 2005 at 1:12 AM

Turned out to be the same problem as this other post:

Error while downloading .config file

All working now.