How to achieve Incremental Download

Topics: Updater Application Block
Mar 9, 2005 at 10:32 AM
originally posted by: Param23

Suppose I have version 1.0.0.0 on client side and version 1.0.0.0 ,2.0.0.0,3.0.0.0 and 4.0.0.0 on server side.

How can I position the updates from server in such a way that
client first gets Update for version for 2.0.0.0 then 3.0.0.0 and so on..so that he does not misses any modification between 1.0.0.0 to 3.0.0.0....

Note : I am using older version of Updater Application Block and not V2.0
Mar 9, 2005 at 9:33 PM

I just add some more filters :

How to keep different ServerManifest pertaining to each Update and for each individual client.

i.e. I should be able to see the Client Version ( that we can do through reading Client Config File ) and invoke the appropriate ServerManifest file..

Plz give your inputs as early as possible..

Thanks in advance !!!!!!

Param23
Mar 10, 2005 at 8:52 AM
originally posted by: DotNetTim628

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's my understanding that the original implementation of the updater does not support incremental downloads. Therefore, you simply allow your app to use the manifest file pointing to the latest update, and your entire application will be replaced by the new version.

The only way I know to sync the manifest file read with the app version is to manually read the app.cofig file (before any attempt to read it using the framework), apply the new version info to the updater section, then write the config file back out. When you start the updater, it would then use this to locate the appropriate manifest file.
Mar 14, 2005 at 10:38 PM

No..no..that is not my purpose...I should not do anything manually on App.config.

I will once more depict the situation..Plz anybody having any type of clue...respond quickly..or suggest some already implemented scenerio in V1 or V2 of UAB

I have version 1.0 ,2.0, 3.0 ,4.0 on server.

Client 1 have already updated upto 3.0 and now when he runs appln version 3.0 gets upadte of 4.0

Client2 has version 2.0 ,so he should get first update for 3.0 and after applying that update for 4.0 automatically..without any admin intervention.

Likewise client3 with version 1.0 first get update of 2.0 ,after applying update of 3.0 ,after applying update of 4.0....

How can I achieve this ????????

Very important for me..plz suggest any clue..
Mar 17, 2005 at 4:45 AM

Hi experts !!!

Got some clue from NEW UAB V2

From the MSIProcessor Quickstart ,we can nest multiple Manifest inside each other...Gr8...

Now , I have tried with the same instead of MSI Processor I am just using APPDEPLOY processor..But some error like BitsDownloader error is coming.

The Scnerio :
Server :
manifests.xml - contains nested manifests with ver2 and above
manifest3.xml -for Ver 3 update and so on..

Client :
Version 1

Now when I run Client1 version , I should first get update for Ver2 ,
then for Ver3 and so on..just like Setup ,patch and remove...

But I am getting BitsDownlder error..

Can Anybody solve the problem..??
Mar 19, 2005 at 9:50 PM

Got the running version...atlast......
Mar 19, 2005 at 9:50 PM

Just used the same logic

manifest(0).apply..

So if firstof all 3 manifests are availble ,it will apply first manifest ,then next time second then third and so on.....That's gr8extensibility!!!!

Thanks Microsoft /GOTDOT experts..!!!!!!

Param23