UAB for .NET 2.0

Topics: Updater Application Block
Nov 18, 2005 at 3:39 AM
originally posted by: PrasannaVSBhat

Will there be an UAB version using .NET Framework 2.0? Anybody has idea when its going to be released?

Thanks in advance.
Nov 22, 2005 at 10:58 AM
originally posted by: BobChauvin

Good question!!!

Have you installed the current UAB2.0 in a .NET20 app? What has your experience been?
Apr 12, 2006 at 7:56 AM
originally posted by: archambault

There will not be a UAB for .NET 2.0.

The way to go now is with ClickOnce that is integrated in visual studio 2005
Apr 16, 2006 at 7:39 AM
originally posted by: AGBrown

But that seems to be a little regressive in terms of functionality. For one, wasn't it was possible to use the UAB to update windows services? This is an essential part of many distributed systems, and ClickOnce does not support this.

So, how do we migrate the windows service parts of our systems to .NET 2.0 now that we can't use automatic updating for them?
Apr 16, 2006 at 7:44 AM
originally posted by: archambault

Most of the windows framework and library can be install with the boostrapper at runtime:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/04/10/Bootstrapper/
Apr 16, 2006 at 8:16 AM

Having read up on the Bootstrapper previously I think maybe you misunderstood me; I'm not entirely sure however, and if I missed a way of using the bootstrapper to implement automatic updates for "windows service" applications I would love to know.

Note that I'm not talking about the services that are part of windows, I'm talking about custom "windows service" applications built in Visual Studio. In .NET 1.1 we could use the UAB to keep these automatically updated, including partial updates etc. - how do we do this in .NET 2.0 now that the UAB is discontinued and our only apparent option is ClickOnce?
Apr 18, 2006 at 7:33 AM
originally posted by: cannyboy

We had implemented a application deployment model with the UAB - click once does not seem to provide the same level of flexibility that the UAB offered - a 2.0 .net version of the UAB would be very useful
Apr 25, 2006 at 9:51 AM
originally posted by: schmoli

UAB also supports post processing for COM registration and the like. ClickOnce doesn't seem to do this?
Apr 25, 2006 at 7:36 PM
originally posted by: eugeniop

We are working on a "ported" version of UAB for .NET 2.0 including using Enterprise Library 2.0.

This will be released to the community shortly (we estimate in the next 2 weeks) and will not include any new features than those available on UAB for .NET 1.1.

The current recommendation of patterns & practices is to look at ClickOnce if you are developing on .NET 2.0, but we realize there are several scenarios (like the Windows Service and others) where UAB might help. Stay tuned!

p&p Client Team
Apr 26, 2006 at 5:28 AM

Thank you for this, IMO this is fantastic news. I use ClickOnce for our smart clients but an essential part of our overall architecture is windows services, and being able to centrally administer and update them is a big benefit. While there are ways of doing "hosted" services using AppDomains and reflection which allows you to update those hosted services, this and any other methods I've found have only pushed the update problem elsewhere, and all require writing the boilerplate and architecture that the UAB provided us with.

It is obvious that ClickOnce is an exceptional technology, but it is understandably limited to smart clients in its focus. It is nice to know that you are still going to provide us with application blocks for the other parts of the enterprise application.
May 23, 2006 at 1:57 PM
originally posted by: eugeniop

It's out there. Check the downloads section.