firewall

Topics: Updater Application Block
Feb 19, 2005 at 8:25 AM
originally posted by: Porc

UAB works great the only trouble is with xp sp2 the firewall pops up a message and blocks my app by default.

But my app runs with no user intervention for weeks and so this is a problem.

How to get around this ?
Feb 20, 2005 at 2:38 PM
originally posted by: figuerres2

what do you mean?? when the app downloads an update??

I am sure there is a way to tell windows that a given app has rights to download files.... but off hand I do not know the process...

ah... quick look users can go to control panel, firewall, exceptions, add program to list.

users should do this so that no one thinks you are adding a trojan or spyware.... add the info to your app with a blurb about how your app gets bug fixes automaticly from the web site.
Feb 22, 2005 at 3:38 AM

Yes the download works fine but my app uses a port for remoting.

And when the new update is complete the app is started from a new directory and so windows thinks 'this is a new app I must block it'

This is a minor problem but often there is no user intervention, or I would prefer if there wasn't anyway.

What I need is a way to say ' allow any apps in this directory or from this company' I don't want to turn the firewall off for obvious reasons.

Cheers.
Feb 23, 2005 at 12:47 PM
originally posted by: figuerres2

what version of the update block are you working from??

the newer 2.0 can do an update where the .exe filename and location do not change.

look at 2.0 "simple update"

you have one app that runs and tests for updates and downloads them when needed. then it runs the main .exe of the app.

I have a project I am working on that uses this and shows a splach screen from the updater and then goes to the main .exe
Feb 24, 2005 at 4:48 AM

Great news, I'll take a look at the new version, sounds perfect.

Thanks for your help.