Admin privileges ?

Topics: Updater Application Block
Oct 29, 2003 at 12:09 PM
originally posted by: wjansoone

When a client is auto updating an application, is there a way to do this without having to log with admin privileges?

Should the postprocessing be used to register components in the GAC?

Thanks in advance for some feedback

Wilfried
Oct 29, 2003 at 12:52 PM
originally posted by: Duncanma

What aspect of the install is requiring administrative privileges?

If you don't put your application into the \Program Files\ directory, I believe it shouldn't require admin rights. As far as registering components into the GAC... can I ask why you are doing that? Is it for COM Interop?
Nov 1, 2003 at 10:44 AM
originally posted by: Wilfried

I tested the application update on a seperate workstation with a user without admin privileges and the update failed. I admit I didn't check where the update process failed but it is strange that it doesn't run without problems. I only use private assemblies.
Jan 14, 2004 at 6:43 AM
originally posted by: zephyr2c

Could it be that the directory in which you installed the application on the client machine does not have the write permission for the user logged on?

I actually have the same problem.

The first time, my application (with the updater) is installed on a client machine by the administrator. From then on, a regular user should be able to run the application (so far, so good) and let the updater do its job. But here it goes wrong because the regular user does not have enough permissions to write to that application directory (in which the new versions are installed).

Anybody any clue on how to solve this?

May 27, 2004 at 12:31 AM
originally posted by: kaison

Why should putting the app into the Program Files directory or not putting it into the Program Files directory make any difference when it comes to requiring admin rights??

Regards
Kai
May 27, 2004 at 12:46 AM
originally posted by: Duncanma

Putting it into the Program Files directory matters because, by default, non-Admin users do not have write permission to that location (on Win2K,XP,etc...)
Jun 4, 2004 at 9:07 AM
originally posted by: XNicholas

Durring the first installation where the user is an admin, have the MSI or setup script run the CACLS.EXE program to set write access to the install directory for the "Users" group.
Jul 25, 2004 at 11:55 PM
originally posted by: GravyBod

This is really quite an interesting idea. I don't know if I like the idea of (initially) installing the app in to a different directory to ...\Program Files\..., after all this is where people expect things to be.

Have you used this idea of using CACLS in your setup? Does it work ok? Any side-effects?

I understand Whidbey Click-Once (or whatever) installs application in to a different directory. Does anyone know any more on this?

Sorry for all the questions!!
Aug 13, 2004 at 10:36 PM
originally posted by: amillersfaddons

I have read that ClickOnce will install to My Documents\My Applications\...