Manifest Documentation

Topics: Updater Application Block
Jan 5, 2005 at 12:11 PM
originally posted by: mclevenger1

Is there any documentation available on the manifest command line tool provided in V2 (\Tools\ManifestTool)? When I compare the output manually running the manifest tool for an application providing -f (files), -b (base URL), and -h (Hash) params, the output looks very different than that of the example apps.

For example, in the AutoInProc.exe example I see that each file is listed without it's local mapping (i.e. MyApp.exe instead of C:\MyDir\SubDir\MyApp.exe) in each of the file nodes and the base attribute is set for the files node. However, when ran providing a base URL for my own app the full path gets specified for each file and the base URL attribute that was passed isn't saved in the files node.

In stepping through the manifest code I don't see any logic that fixes the path generated from the file system object to remove the local path, and also don't see any code that actually sets the Application Base in the manifest object prior to serializing it to xml therefore it never gets persisted. These two things are easy enough to fix, but I wanted to make sure I'm not missing something obvious before creating more work for myself :) I also see an additional property of each file of "transient" and not sure what it's effect is, and don't see it in the examples.

This definitely seems like a huge leap forward from the previous version - you guys definitely added some great features!

TIA,
Mike
Jan 8, 2005 at 6:18 AM
originally posted by: figuerres2

I am also not sure about the intended method of ue of the tool.

but I'll start a new thread with some details.
Jan 8, 2005 at 7:04 AM

documentation:

does anyone have an example of how to use a web server to deploy an update.

the provided quick start is not working when run from IIS 6

the files work with the local setup but when I try to chnage to a remote web server it fails.

ITHINK I need to build a new manifest and update the local config files but so far I am lost .... seems like I am close but it still fails.

I am using the simple app start sample, I have editing the file by hand and have tried using the manifest tool and am stuck.
Jan 8, 2005 at 4:41 PM
originally posted by: Taniwha

I was able to successfully update from an external source.
1. I changed the Manifests.xml file to point to the new source.
2. I copied the content of the Server folder to the external IIS 6.0 server.
3. I changed the pointer on the updaterconfiguration.config file to the new source.

I then tested and all worked as expected.

__T
Jan 8, 2005 at 6:20 PM

did you keep the client files in the same tree as given?

example:

quick starts are in a nested set of folders like

\v2\quickstarts\cs\sampleappstart\*

part of what I am trying to learn is how to get to say:

\Program Files\Company\App\*
\Program Files\Company\App\Updater\*

the sample has the updater in a subfolder with the app 2 levels above that; as I recall 2 places in the config files have to be correct for things to work.

and keep it clean...

but thanks, if you had it work then I must have broke part of my .config and .xml files and need to check.
Jan 8, 2005 at 7:57 PM
originally posted by: Taniwha

I just went to my Web site and created a Update Folder.
In the update folder I created a AutoInproc.

I ftp'd the V2\QuickStarts\cs\AutoInproc\Server folder (with the change to the xml file) to this new AutoInProc folder on my web site.

That's it?

__T
Jan 9, 2005 at 3:23 AM

I am using the sample that uses a stub to do the version check, download and then run the "Main" exe.

what I found was that the stun has the filename and path hardcoded as a string const in the call to run the main exe.

I thought the stub was configured by the .config files and the manifest.xml files so I was stumped for a while

I had a client folder with a copy of the v1 client right wehre the stub would find it to run....

so the update worked but never ran the v2 exe!!!!

so be on the lookout for hardcoded paths and .exe names in the other samples.

for example I think I want a layout like this on the client:

\Program Files\Company\Product\Bin <--- program exe,dll,config and other support
\Program Files\Company\Product\Startup <---- Updater stub and it's bits
\Program Files\Company\Product\ <--- Other files such as database files, global settings documentation etc....

So thanks, I now see what was broken and how to fix it.
Jan 14, 2005 at 6:14 AM
originally posted by: Pakl

Does anyone have a working Manifest Creation Tool?
The one in the UAB just doesn't create the desired output...

How do you create your manifests?

greetings
Pakl