run updater with a Windows user without privileges

Topics: Updater Application Block
Jun 16, 2005 at 5:19 AM
originally posted by: mr_Krab

hi... how can i update the application running in a windows user without privileges?
Jun 17, 2005 at 9:48 PM
originally posted by: AnuragRastogi

Hi

if i understand you correctly that you are talking about running the updater with the credentials of a user without privileges.

you can try so by setting the anonymeous acess on your server.
Aug 30, 2005 at 6:09 PM
originally posted by: YuChai

if the user haven't grant the right to install apps. Will the updater able to update the program?
Oct 14, 2005 at 7:32 AM
originally posted by: lbagnall

I have the same question. I'm trying to use updater to download patch files (.msp) files and apply them, but limited users don't have privileges to install them. Haven't found an answer yet...
Oct 14, 2005 at 10:34 AM
originally posted by: lbagnall

OK, after spending a couple of hours reading MSDN documentation, this is what I think the options are:

1. Author your initial installer to put things in places that don't require admin privileges to modify, or to modify the permissions to limited users to modify those places (e.g. if you put files in c:\program files\mycompany\myproduct, then give members of the Users group write permission on that folder.) From a security standpoint, this doesn't seem like a good idea.

2. Change the AlwaysInstallElevated policy to allow non-privileged users to run your installer with elevated permissions. This is a huge security hole, and Microsoft discourages the use of this option these days.

3. Write a separate Windows service that runs with LocalSystem privileges, which should be high enough privileges to run the installer. Have it do the background download of updates, and run the installer when it's done.

Step 2 assumes that you're using the MsiProcessor. Here's a URL with more discussion.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/msi/setup/installing_a_package_with_elevated_privileges_for_a_non-admin.asp