Got it working on XP, can not on Win2K

Topics: Updater Application Block
Jan 23, 2004 at 4:47 PM
originally posted by: AdamPat

Hi,

I got the UAB working on my XP development machine, then I tried to test it on a Win2K box and can not get it working. It won't even download the manifest file from the server. I have tried running my client from 2 different machines and always get the error shown in the log below. I have set all the permissions in IIS correctly so I can get to and download all of the update files via internet explorer. I am starting to get really frustrated! Please help!

Thanks,

Adam

ApplicationUpdateManager.StartUpdater :
The Updater has started; the target application's name is 'ResWare'. Time started: 20040122_17:42:38.

DownloaderManager.RunDownloader :
Checking on updates for application 'ResWare'.

DownloaderManager.IsServerManifestDownloaded :
DOWNLOAD STARTED: Downloading manifest for the application 'ResWare'. Time started: 20040122_17:42:38

SOURCE FILE: 'http://devwin2k/ResWareUpdater/Manifest.xml'

DEST FILE: 'c:\program files\adeptive software\resware\Manifest.xml'

The metadata file (the Server Manifest) can't be downloaded for the application 'ResWare'.
Either the manifest is unavailable (check download URL in Updater config file), the downloader failed, or
the Manifest failed validation.
ERROR: Exception from HRESULT: 0x8020000F.
STACK: at Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.ApplicationUpdater.Downloaders.IBackgroundCopyJob.GetError(IBackgroundCopyError& ppError)
at Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.ApplicationUpdater.Downloaders.BITSDownloader.HandleDownloadErrorCancelJob(IBackgroundCopyJob copyJob, String& errMessage)
at Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.ApplicationUpdater.Downloaders.BITSDownloader.Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.ApplicationUpdater.Interfaces.IDownloader.Download(String sourceFile, String destFile, TimeSpan maxTimeWait)
at Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.ApplicationUpdater.DownloaderManager.IsServerManifestDownloaded()

Jan 23, 2004 at 4:50 PM
originally posted by: AdamPat

not sure if this helps but this is from the windows event log: (looks like some sort of COM exception is thrown?)

Additional Info:
ExceptionManager.MachineName: DEVWIN2K
ExceptionManager.TimeStamp: 1/22/2004 5:42:38 PM
ExceptionManager.FullName: Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.ExceptionManagement, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
ExceptionManager.AppDomainName: ClientWinforms.exe
ExceptionManager.ThreadIdentity:
ExceptionManager.WindowsIdentity: DEVWIN2K\adam

1) Exception Information
Exception Type: System.Exception
Message: The metadata file (the Server Manifest) can't be downloaded for the application 'ResWare'.
Either the manifest is unavailable (check download URL in Updater config file), the downloader failed, or
the Manifest failed validation.
TargetSite: NULL
HelpLink: NULL
Source: NULL

2) Exception Information
Exception Type: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException
ErrorCode: -2145386481
TargetSite: Void GetError(Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.ApplicationUpdater.Downloaders.IBackgroundCopyError ByRef)
HelpLink: NULL
Source: Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.ApplicationUpdater

StackTrace Information
at Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.ApplicationUpdater.Downloaders.IBackgroundCopyJob.GetError(IBackgroundCopyError& ppError)
at Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.ApplicationUpdater.Downloaders.BITSDownloader.HandleDownloadErrorCancelJob(IBackgroundCopyJob copyJob, String& errMessage)
at Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.ApplicationUpdater.Downloaders.BITSDownloader.Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.ApplicationUpdater.Interfaces.IDownloader.Download(String sourceFile, String destFile, TimeSpan maxTimeWait)
at Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.ApplicationUpdater.DownloaderManager.IsServerManifestDownloaded()