Check for Pre-requisites

Topics: Updater Application Block
Sep 10, 2004 at 1:55 PM
originally posted by: b_kamal

We are planning to use Updater Application Block for the deployment of software on client PCs. How do we check for pre-requisites using Updater Application Block. For eg. we would like to check whether the client has .NET v1.1 installed and also DirectX9 runtime installed. Is there a way to make the download of Application files happen after the .NETv1.1 and DirectX runtime is installed.
Sep 15, 2004 at 7:03 AM
originally posted by: JohnAskew

You could look into using the Updater via a webservice versus the self-updating app. The webservice you would author could do many things, such as recieve the .NET version from the client, DirectX, etc., and decide what to push to the client.

I know that there are .MSI files that will inspect the .NET version and install if necessary. This info should be at Microsoft's site. I would expect something similar for DirectX.

I am currently using the self-updating paradigm with the manifest file, but will eventually change to a webservice-based Updater to do things like publish new versions to a beta-subset of users only.