Use BITS Downloader to distribute ASP.Net files?

Topics: Updater Application Block
Oct 10, 2003 at 7:31 AM
originally posted by: pschaef

I would like to use the updated to download an ASP.Net application from a staging server to laptops. (The laptops then can demo the app with the latest version.)

The files to be downloaded include ASPX & ASMX types. Will those be downloaded or run at the server?
Oct 24, 2003 at 7:39 AM
originally posted by: sbsaxman

I believe these would execute at the server by default. Of course, you could always remove the application mappings for these file types from the configuration of your virtual directory. This would make the file types not have an execution handler, so they wouldn't be executed on the server. (It may be more complicated than this. For example, u may need to add MIME content types for these extensions or something...)

However, I'm not sure how elegant this solution would be. There might be a better way of doing this.
Oct 29, 2003 at 4:24 AM
originally posted by: pschaef

I then modified the Manifest Utility. I use the #ZipLib to compress/package all of the web content into a single file, which is then included in the manifest instead of the individual files.

In order to allow BITS to work with the dll files, I had to set the execute permissions to None on the virtual directory.