Getting exception from Updater Service

Topics: Updater Application Block
Mar 1, 2005 at 2:08 AM
originally posted by: RajeevA

I have some problem with Updater AB. I' ve configured in a virtual 2003 server (without any patchs) the Updater AB 1.0 and I have noticed that from the event viewer tell me the exception below every time the Updater Services run:

General Information
Additional Info:
ExceptionManager.MachineName: LABFUI01
ExceptionManager.TimeStamp: 2/2/2005 12:22:11 PM
ExceptionManager.FullName: Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.ExceptionManagement, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
ExceptionManager.AppDomainName: updaterservice.exe
ExceptionManager.ThreadIdentity:
ExceptionManager.WindowsIdentity: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM

1) Exception Information
Exception Type: System.Exception
Message: The BITS service returned an error for the job with the ID '6c0ace34-1004-48e7-98c1-a2974e7cd67b';
the job's name and description are 'BITSFilesDownloadJob' and 'BITSFilesDownloadJob'.
The BITS service error message for this job is
'The requested URL does not exist on the server.

'.
This job has been canceled, and the DownloaderManager will attempt it again. If you see this error frequently, you may have a mis-configuration, or another
administrator process/user is canceling BITS jobs.
It is also possible that some mis-configuration of the Manifest file is causing BITS to have trouble with a source or destination path;
be sure that all SOURCE paths are valid URLs, and that all DESTINATION paths are valid LOCAL UNC paths--_shares are not allowed_.
TargetSite: NULL
HelpLink: NULL
Source: NULL

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

I have also some problems with the SeflUpdating quickstart. I have founded lots information about the incompatibility of BITS 2.0 and UAB. I have tried to remove .config association on the IIS administration console as suggested in
http://www.gotdotnet.com/workspaces/messageboard/thread.aspx?id=83c68646-befb-4586-ba9f-fdf1301902f5&threadid=ab54607c-9fa4-4cf4-8464-06b6d9508304

but the problem still remain!

Below there is the application log file.

BITSDownloader :
The BITS service returned an error for the job with the ID 'b83a4ebe-5bdd-4cf3-bd12-1c49f2a4e653';
the job's name and description are 'BITSFilesDownloadJob' and 'BITSFilesDownloadJob'.
The BITS service error message for this job is
'The requested URL does not exist on the server.

'.
This job has been canceled, and the DownloaderManager will attempt it again. If you see this error frequently, you may have a mis-configuration, or another
administrator process/user is canceling BITS jobs.
It is also possible that some mis-configuration of the Manifest file is causing BITS to have trouble with a source or destination path;
be sure that all SOURCE paths are valid URLs, and that all DESTINATION paths are valid LOCAL UNC paths--_shares are not allowed_.

I have to move on Updater AB 2.0? Or I have to install the BITS fix? (I think that I haven't the BITS 2.0 installed on my virtual pc)
Mar 1, 2005 at 4:01 AM
originally posted by: vandanasingal

Make sure that ServerManifest.xml file is availabe to the application. It is located in the web application created on the deployment server to distribute the latest version of application.
Mar 1, 2005 at 7:09 AM
originally posted by: JimmyDotNet

I'm using Windows Server 2003. I had to take some considerations.

Because IIS 6.0 is locked by default, you must register some MIME types on your deployment virtual directory. For example:

.pdb (text/plain)
.config (text/xml)

Also, make sure that folders and files you've deployed have read permissions (Virtual directory settings).

I expect that my comments helps you.
Mar 2, 2005 at 11:25 PM
originally posted by: mubama0n

Hi JimmyDotNet

Can you explain step by step how can we register some MIME types on our deployment virtual directory. For example:

.pdb (text/plain)
.config (text/xml)

Becaus i have the same problem on this tread subject , you can email me also on (mubama0n@mopm.gov.sa).

Thanks
Mar 3, 2005 at 2:48 AM

Hi JimmyDotNet

I think waht you answer is not correct , I did waht you have said at your answer but the problem still remain.
Mar 3, 2005 at 7:29 AM
originally posted by: JimmyDotNet

Try to download files manually if you get a 404 error then there is a problem with a file.

Sometimes this error is caused because the file isn't registered as a valid downloadable MIME type on your server. To add new MIME types to your virtual directory follow these steps:

Go to IIS Manager, select you virtual directory and access to its property page
Go to HTTP Headers tab and then click on MIME Types Button
Click on New
Specify a extension (pdb) and Mime Type (text/plain) for each unknown extension

Also verify that each file has read premisions on IIS Manager
Mar 4, 2005 at 4:15 AM

Hi JimmyDotNet

I did like you said but still nothing changed the exception still remaining.
Mar 4, 2005 at 6:34 AM
originally posted by: MHildebrand

Hi Mubama0n...

In IIS manager, right click on the virtural directory where the files are you want to download. Select, 'Properties' and 'HTTP Headers'. At the bottom select 'File Types, and from this dialog add the extensions and content types (MIMI) are want downloaded.

One problem is, I can not get *.CS file type to download; no matter what I do. Anyone have any ideas ?

Michael
Mar 4, 2005 at 6:37 AM
originally posted by: MHildebrand

I have never seen a reference for this file. Who creates it?
Mar 6, 2005 at 9:47 PM

I did your recommendation as you said in the steps but still nothing done and the exception still remain.