BitTorrent IDownloader

Topics: Updater Application Block
Jan 15, 2005 at 1:29 PM
originally posted by: pwtyng

I'm currently working on a BitTorrent API in C#, one of my current goals is to use BitTorrent for SmartClient update distribution. If anyone is interested in helping with the development of the BitTorrent API or has any thoughts on adapting it to an IDownloader, please let me know as I'm fairly new to this application block and BitTorrent development. The GotDotNet workspace for the BitTorrent API is SharpTorrent, its very alpha right now, but making progress.

I know World of Warcraft uses BitTorrent for its update distribution, so thats where I originally got the idea, just trying to implement it now.
Jan 15, 2005 at 5:02 PM
originally posted by: figuerres2

I do not think it would make a good updater ... unless you had a lot of folks with the app who would open firewall holes.

or unless you had a bunch of servers that would host the downloads
Jan 16, 2005 at 3:56 AM
originally posted by: figuerres2

more on what I said the first time... (I was in a rush before)

the BITS downloader is kind of the "Anti-Torrent" in a way, it was designed to get the files delivered without hogging bandwith.

and I can see how there are times where you wan the inverse .. Get the files to the user as fast as possible.

now Torrent does this best in my understanding of it by enlisting each user's bandwitth to create a large "surplus" of bandwith.

so if you can get a number of users who will open firewall ports and who will stay on-line then users get faster download.

but if you do not have the "Critical mass" then the download of the update will be a function of the server sending the data and not the sum of n servers.

so it seems to me that unless you have a large userbase etc.. that a better model will be to just do a classic HTTP or FTP download.

the key is the issue of how you will get the torrent upto speed.
Blizzard or other large compamnies can afford to have 20-30 master servers running to start the thing
and get thoushands of users so they have the crtical mass of users. thats one issue.

another is that unless you havbe that rep. then how do you get the user to trust anon. use of his system and that the torrent will not deliver a virus or trojan?

so thats more of my thoughts on this... I like Torrent by the way; I just see some issues with it beeing the right thing for this use.