Step by Step - Web Services to Smart Client App

Topics: CAB & Smart Client Software Factory
Jul 22, 2006 at 5:05 AM
originally posted by: technoguys

Hello,

I have been tinkering with CAB as well as SCSF & am not sure if I understand the entire development process. I think the HOL as well as the guidance is imcomplete.i.e. You start by creating a new smart client application..Now what? IMHO, the SCSF does not really guide you very well from a UI to a business tier to a data tier perspective.

Here is my scenario: I have a web service that I want to consume in a smart client app. Can someone advise me step by step how to do this?
  1. 1. Create smart client app using SCSF guidance - Done
What do you do next?
  1. 2. Is it..Create smart web reference OR create foundation module OR create business module?
  2. 3. What do you do next & so on..?

I apologize if this comes across as a rather dumb question, but while the instructions everywhere do an incredible job of explaining the architecture & the design itself, there appears to be no step by step guidance (for dummies like me) that explains how one would build an enterprise class app with these.

I have reviewed the sample & I understand them somewhat, but I cannot tell what sequence of actions will one need to take. I would be very thankful if someonce can point me to some relevant information on this somewhere or just outline the few steps. I have perused the online help, HOLs, SCSF documentation & googled it a little bit too..

Thanks!!
Jul 22, 2006 at 5:19 AM

oops.. I did not realize that this issue has already been mentioned (Ref:disconect between code and documentation(part3)? ). Hopefully, someone on the forum is enlightened enough to guide us..

I think SCSF is a really cool idea & has the potential to become the way VS development will happen in future (Now I just need to build something cool & convince my boss for some training on this stuff).

Thanks!!
Jul 22, 2006 at 5:25 AM
originally posted by: askew

Experiment. There's no 1, 2, 3, on using recipies.

I would keep generating new SCSF solutions, try some recipies, prove a concept or two, start again.
There is a pretty steep curve with it, but one you can scale.
Aug 8, 2006 at 8:04 AM

I have not yet had the opportunity to play with the HOL, but this recent article on MSDN is exactly the type of information that I was looking for.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/06/09/SmartClients/default.aspx