What happened to the Add Service Agent Action?

Topics: CAB & Smart Client Software Factory
Jul 3, 2006 at 4:52 PM
originally posted by: lfournier

I just installed the new June 2006 SCSF, and it seems that "Add Service Agent" Action has disapeared. Has anyone seens this? I opened the GuidanceAutomation Solution source code and noticed that the Action (CreateServiceAgentWrapper) has disapeared from the SmartClientDevelopment.xml file.

Is this on purpose?

Thanks for you help.
Louis.
Jul 6, 2006 at 7:46 AM
originally posted by: timomsft

Yes, the Add Service Agent recipe was removed on purpose. To be useful, the recipe should have at least wrapped both the standard VS Web reference and the factory's Smart Web reference. This wasn't possible in time for the June 30th release. And of course, a service agent isn't only coupled to Web services, though that seems to be the most common association. Finally, what belongs in the SA is very application-specific (or possibly specific to a particular enterprise's class of applications). This all adds up to the recipe being pulled out of the released package. If you found it useful, it might be something you choose to add back in, as your own customization. Also, there's a brief documentation topic on SAs, under "Other Considerations"

Cheers,
Tim
Jul 7, 2006 at 5:34 AM
originally posted by: MiniMe

So, how would one go about adding this back in. I tried modifying the C:\Program Files\Microsoft SCSF\GuidancePkg\bin\SmartClientDevelopment.xml but upon changing that file I get an error every time I load a SmartClient solution telling me the file is changed and that I should reinstall the guidance package. I order to do that, I have to reinstall the whole install, including all the help files.
Can you give me some direction as to how I'd go about doing something like this?
Jul 7, 2006 at 8:47 AM
originally posted by: marianoszklanny

The recommended practice to customize the Smart Client guidance package, is to clone the original guidance package and work with the cloned version.

Note that if you want to use both the original and the customized packages in the same computer, you have to modify the GUID and the Name attributes in SmartClientDevelopment.xml.

Have a look at the "Customizing the Smart Client Software Factory" section in SCSF documentation for more details.

Cheers,
Mariano Szklanny
http://staff.southworks.net/mariano
Jul 7, 2006 at 9:34 AM
originally posted by: timomsft

When you installed the guidance package, the installer registers a binary version of the guidance package. That version is in the GuidancePkg\bin directory. Therefore when you updated the the SmartClientDevelopment.xml file in that folder, it is correctly recognized the configuration file as being out of sync with the registered guidance package.

Instead, you should add the Add Service Agent recipe and template files to the source code version of the guidance package, and register that version. The Customizing the Smart Client Software Factory contains instructions on how to do this. The source code version does have a different identifier than the one that is registered by the installer, so it is possible to have both registered side-by-side.

Cheers,
Tim
Jul 7, 2006 at 11:03 AM

I actually was able to introduce the feature in the final release, by bringing the old SmartClientDevelopmenent.xml receipe from the File in the new one, in a clone of the guidance, as prescribed. However, when I run the receipe i get an exception with the Guidance Automation code. I still have to investigate what is not working, but it seems the news version of the Guidance Automation Extensions do not like some of the old code in the Add Service Agent action, for some reason. Would be nice if you can make a quick test to see what might be different ;-). I beleive i will have to debug a Visual Studio instance runnining GAT in debug mode, because it is actually the GAT/GAX code that throws an exception.

Thanks for answering us.
Louis.
Jul 8, 2006 at 2:38 PM
originally posted by: GregShaw

I suppose the question is: Will Add Service Agent be reintroduced in a subsequent drop or should we encourage Louis to release his work once he gets it integrated with the current SCSF?

Cheers, Greg.
Jul 11, 2006 at 4:29 AM

I'm all for encouraging Louis to continue on getting this done. I've tried the same thing as Louis and I haven't been able to get it to work either.
So, Louis please let us know if u are successful in your attempts to get the "Add Service Agent" action to work, and let us know how u did it as well.
Thanks
Jul 11, 2006 at 6:13 AM

I will try to do that, but I first have to deliver my smart client project in the following week. I am too busy. After that, i will have a look. On the argument for dropping the feature "To be useful, the recipe should have at least wrapped both the standard VS Web reference and the factory's Smart Web reference", i would to say that it would not have done any harm if the feature was kept, because anyhow, we have to write every service agent by hand, including over the standard Web Reference.
Jul 12, 2006 at 2:46 AM

Hi,
I'll be working on this issue to get it resolved. More news shortly!

Cheers,
Mariano Szklanny
Jul 20, 2006 at 4:23 AM

so, are there any news on this?
Did anyone get the Add Service Agent action to work?
Jul 20, 2006 at 4:27 AM
originally posted by: matiaswoloski

Stay tuned!
We are working on it

Matias
Smart Client Software Factory Team
http://staff.southworks.net/blogs/matiaswoloski
Jul 26, 2006 at 3:20 AM

We've just released SC-SF Community Release 1, with the SA recipe included and updated to match the latest solution structure and to use the entity translator service.

See:
http://www.gotdotnet.com/codegallery/news/newsitem.aspx?id=941d2228-3bb5-42fd-8004-c08595821170&newsId=d3aad203-04e7-47c5-9b32-fd743adf453a

Download:
http://www.gotdotnet.com/codegallery/releases/viewuploads.aspx?id=941d2228-3bb5-42fd-8004-c08595821170

Feedback is welcome!
Mariano Szklanny
Jul 26, 2006 at 4:41 AM

Thank you for taking the time Mariano.