SCBAT with VS2005 Express Editions

Topics: CAB & Smart Client Software Factory
Jan 24, 2006 at 2:25 AM
originally posted by: dannytuppeny

Hi,

Should the SCBAT stuff all work with Express Editions? Is there anything we have to fiddle around with to get it to work? Things like Solution Folders don't work, and web services are developed in VWD, and not VC# like WinForms.

Since the express editions contain so much stuff, I'm even less likely now to upgrade (a lotta money for very little extra!), so if there are any tips for us cheapskates getting this stuff to work easily, I'd be glad to hear them :-)
Jan 24, 2006 at 8:34 AM
originally posted by: BradWilsonMSFT

Because of the mixed-project nature of SC-BAT, I suspect that getting it to work on Express will be a lot of manual solution building and running things by hand.
Jan 24, 2006 at 12:16 PM

So is it not going to be as simple as creating two new solutions (one Web, one WinForms) and adding the projects to the respective solutions? :(

Does VS2005 work the same way as VWD for web projects (ie. no DLL's to reference!) by default?
Jan 25, 2006 at 9:40 AM
originally posted by: BradWilsonMSFT

I haven't tried using Express, but I think that you're right that it's a matter of making your own solutions and adding the existing projects.

As far as I know, VWD and VS2005 both use the same file-system based project system for web projects, so it should work. You will, of course, need to make sure you have all the right configuration information (port #, etc.) that are part of the existing VS2005 solution file, since there is no project files for web projects any more.
Jan 25, 2006 at 10:37 AM
originally posted by: PProvost

I would be interested in knowing how many people are going to be using the Express versions.

If you are using it or planning to use it for SC-BAT evaluation/usage, can you please reply to this thread?

Thanks!
Feb 11, 2006 at 11:59 AM

FYI,

I made two copies of the RI solution in the 3rd Feb drop, and named one Web, and one WinForms. I opened them up in VC#Express and VWDExpress and removed all the failing packages. Ran the web project, and then the WinForms one, and everything works as it was supposed to. So not a big deal it seems :)