Upgrading an SC-BAT application to released SCSF?

Topics: CAB & Smart Client Software Factory
Jul 17, 2006 at 11:18 PM
originally posted by: unassal

I've started building an application using the Feb. 2006 version of SCSF (which was still called SC-BAT then). Now I upgraded to the release version of SCSF but this one doesn't recognize my modules, i.e. I do no longer get an "AddView" menu for them etc. Is there a way to upgrade an existing SC-BAT application to SCSF?

Any advice is appreciated.

Uwe
Jul 18, 2006 at 12:01 AM
originally posted by: hmoeller

A good question...

One first step should be to open the "Guidance Package Manager" from the Tools menu and enable the "Smart Client Development" package for your solution. CAUTION: Unfortunately, this didn't work for me. Instead, VS 2005 ran into an endless loop of refreshing windows, which I had to quit by killing the task!

Since the new SCSF has an all new infrastructure namespace, it may be (will be) necessary to add those infrastracture projects into the existing solution. The same holds for the ProfileCatalog.xml, since the format changed substantially.

I wasn't able to find a How-To for this task to be complete and loss-free, though. Maybe someone can add to this thread...
Jul 18, 2006 at 9:01 PM

I could activate the guidance package (VS2005 was busy for quite a while but eventually succeeded) and now have menus for "Add Business Module ..." and "Add Foundational Module...". I manually upgraded the profile.xml, added the Infrastructure.Library assembly (which I generated in a new VS solution) and merged the contents of the Infrastructure.Interfaces assembly (again from a new VS solution) in the the SC-BAT Common assembly.

I did not check whether the AddModule recipes really work, but I still do not get the AddView menus in the context of a module. This is the thing I'm missing the most since I can add modules through my new VS solution but this won't work for existing modules.

So, I'm still pretty stuck with my SC-BAT solution.
Jul 18, 2006 at 10:56 PM

Ok, further update: I also added the Infrastructure.Interface assembly (again generated in a new VS solution) and moved all (well, most) additions to the Common assembly into this one (I still kept the Common assembly for some non-infrastructure but shared classes). After updating all references the entire solution compiled again but still no Add View menu. One final bit was missing. The .sln file contains a variable called "CommonProjectGuid". This guid must be set to the project guid of the Infrastructure.Interface project. Voila - AddView menu is back!

This was pretty tedious but since this was the release version I hope I never have to do this again ...