Register Guidance Package problem _ MSI Install OK

Topics: CAB & Smart Client Software Factory
May 29, 2006 at 5:37 AM
originally posted by: CDSmith

This post is to report about my SecurityException error when creating a template solution after registering the RI2 guidance package and to validate Emanuel's reply to "How do I install the 22May Guidance package".

After I successfully Registered the SmartClientDevelopmentRI2 package, I received an error when I tried to create a new template soltuion by choosing File, New, Project, Guidance Packages, Smart Client Development(RI2) selecting the Light Weight Smart Client template to create a new project. I received the following SecurityException.

System.Security.SecurityException: Package guidDD259E3702BB4b1c9F14737F534EEE22 configuration file is located at C:\Components\SCBAT0522\GuidancePkg\Src\RI2\SmartClientDevelopment\bin\Release\\SmartClientDevelopment.xml which is not a trusted location.
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.RecipeManager.CheckPackageSecurity(String package, String location)
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.RecipeManager.GetConfigurationReader(String packageName)
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.RecipeManager.EnablePackage(String packageName)
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio.Templates.UnfoldTemplate.LoadPackage()
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio.Templates.UnfoldTemplate.RunStarted(Object automationObject, Dictionary`2 replacementsDictionary, WizardRunKind runKind, Object[] customParams)
The Zone of the assembly that failed was:
MyComputer

===============
Steps to reproduce:
1) Perfrom Release build on May 22 GuidanceAutomation solution
2) Right-Click SmartClientDevelopmentRI2 project and select Register Guidance Package
3) Wait for Registration succeeded message and exit VS2005.
4) Start new instance of VS2005.
5) Choose File, New, Project, Guidance Packages, Smart Client Development(RI2) and select the Light Weight Smart Client template

===============
Workaround:
1) Right-Click on the RI2 solution folder in the GuidanceAutomation solution choose Add Existing Project to add the SmartClientDevelopmentSetup project
2) Release Build
3) Exit VS2005
4) Run the SmartClientDevelopmentSetup.msi from the bin\Release folder
5) Now able to create a new project successfully.
6) Needed to remove and add 4 Microsoft.Practices.xxx references in the Library project in order to build and run the template solution.
Nov 10, 2006 at 11:36 PM
originally posted by: NicoDeGreef

Information posted by Microsoft on the Connect site:

Locate the following file using Windows Explorer:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Guidance Automation Toolkit\Templates\Solutions\Projects\GuidancePackage\GuidancePAckage.xml

Open the properties for the file.

Find and click the "Unblock" button. If the Unblock button is not there, check the properties of your GP XML file and follow the same procedure.

That should take care of the problem.

Posted by Microsoft on 09/11/2006 at 14:53