Some Comments on the Feb 3 Drop

Topics: CAB & Smart Client Software Factory
Feb 4, 2006 at 6:34 PM
originally posted by: headlam

Like the latest update to the GAT. Here are some observations/comments

1) When adding a module to the solution, the module gets added to the profile catalog file twice

2) Event publication is working but subscription isn’t. Selecting an event topic generates an error “System.InvalidCastException: Unable to cast COM object of type 'System._ComObject' to interface type 'EnvDTE.CodeClass'. This operation failed because the QueryInterface call on the COM component for the interface with IID '{B1F42514-91CD-4D3A-8B25-A317D8032B24}' failed due to the following error: No such interface supported (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80004002 (ENOINTERFACE)).”

3) I should also be able to add an event subscription even is a publication does not exist in the solution.

4) When adding a web reference (i.e., “Add Smart Web Reference…”). I would like to know what is the possibility to support the selection of multiple web services at once and creating shared types as needed. There are scenarios where we get data from a web service and do an update using the same data contract. I’m not sure if the code generation process would create two distinct CLR types or one. Since I can only create one at a time I’m assuming two (2).

5) After awhile I get the feel that the menu references are all over the place. It might help to not follow the current VS model and just create a folder specifically for the guidance and hand all the menus there. Just a thought at this time. But I feel it might be needed once I have guidance packages for different areas (i.e., Smart Client, Web Services, etc.)

6) By default I think the shell should just have a single workspace. A secondary module should then be loaded that contains the application layout. This will make it easy to switch out layout (i.e., via config for example)

7) I like where the Web Service Proxy is going. Will there eventually be support for caching, etc?

8) I don’t like the fact that I can’t add a module at the root solution level (must add it to a folder).

9) Can you add “Add Smart Web Reference…” to the right click on “Reference” folder

Norm
Feb 6, 2006 at 11:42 AM
originally posted by: BradWilsonMSFT

Some answers below...

1, 2. Thanks, we'll look into these.

3. The functionality there was the path of least resistance. I don't know whether your requests will make the final scope for RI-1, since we're getting close to feature freeze.

4. We believe that the aggregation of multiple proxies is best done in a layer above the auto-generated proxies which best represents business operations (instead of representing raw service operations, which may not be business API friendly).

5. That's a good point. We'll take that under advisement.

6. We've talked about this, but I don't think it will make RI-1. We may be able to get this into RI-2.

7. Yes, we're not done with where the web services go. We have a simple async proxy layer on top of the raw web service API; the next step would be the business layer with all its business knowledge (caching, data transformation, etc.) sitting on top of 1 or more proxies.

8. I think this is probably just a bug on our part. I think we intended to be able to add modules to the root of the solution.

9. That's our intention. The web reference stuff was still being finished Friday morning, so we ran out of time before release to fully polish it (like making sure it's in all the right menus). :)
Feb 6, 2006 at 6:04 PM
originally posted by: headlam

Thanks for the response Brad.

Norm.