Install on Vista gets Error 2869

Topics: CAB & Smart Client Software Factory
Dec 18, 2006 at 12:22 PM
originally posted by: SilverMine

Any idea what this error is caused by? I have UAC turned off. CAB and Enterprise Libraries are installed successfully.
Dec 18, 2006 at 2:23 PM
originally posted by: matiaswoloski

Try opening a command prompt running as an admin account and execute

msiexec <location of the scsf msi>

If it still does not work please run it again using:

msiexec /i "<location of the scsf msi>" /l*v "c:\scsfinstall.log"

Send the log to matias at southworks dot net

Thanks
Matias
http://staff.southworks.net/blogs/matiaswoloski
Dec 18, 2006 at 2:33 PM
originally posted by: SilverMine

Thanks for the guidance Matias. I just recently got it installed successfully.

Here's what I did. I do not know why it succeeded however but perhaps this info will help someone else.

I originally installed everything with User Access Control turned on. I used Run As and ran some stuff from the Command Prompt that was running as Admin. When SCSF got the 2869 error, I started backtracking and uninstalling stuff, but now I had UAC turned off. I uninstalled the Guidance Extensions and Toolkit and reran the SCSF installer. It failed when it did not find GAX - Guidance Extensions, I assume. So, I reinstalled just the Guidance Extensions, not the Toolkit, and ran SCSF installer again. This time it was successful. Then I reinstalled the Toolkit. Everything seems to be working fine again. I had everything working great under XP and built some apps but the Vista install just would not work at first.

I think when I got the error 2869 the installer had some text showing that I think said some about the Registry. Is it possible that the Guidance Extensions get some setting set differently in the Registry when installed under UAC with Run As than when not runing under UAC at all?

Thanks for the help,
rich