Documentation in PDF format

Topics: CAB & Smart Client Software Factory
May 17, 2006 at 4:53 PM
originally posted by: iantimoakes

I like the new help file, any chance of having it published as a pdf document?

I would really appreciate be able to produce nicely formatted printed documentation that I can read at my own leisure and in the setting that I choose. Documentation delivered as chm or integrated help is not ideal for printed output, whereas a well formatted pdf file is.

Help files are great when I need help on a specific topic, but I find too much time spent studying text on a screen gives me eye strain.
May 17, 2006 at 10:40 PM
originally posted by: fballem

I notice that Innovasys has been involved in the documentation.

They have an excellent product that I've used for a couple of years - and I suspect that your folks have pretty ready access to it. HelpStudio 2 uses single source to produce .chm, help 2.0, and .pdf from the same set of source files.

Being able to print a properly formatted set of documents would be really useful - and if you do decide to go this route, they will probably customise the template to conform to Microsoft documentation standards. If they do, perhaps they can share the template with their users (like me).

If anyone else is interested, the product is found at http://www.innovasys.com - and no, I don't work for them :-)

Regards,
Flavelle