vb version of BAT again

Topics: CAB & Smart Client Software Factory
Apr 10, 2006 at 11:53 PM
originally posted by: larserikf

Are there any plans for releasing a vb version of the SC-BAT - that is, the guidance packages having an option for generating a new CAB module in vb also?

I've seen questions on this before, but with no answers....

Regards

Larsi
Apr 13, 2006 at 7:59 PM
originally posted by: ChristianBammer

Since we are using VB as well (only VB, not C#) according to company prerequisites, I would really appreciate if there would be a VB version!!
Apr 17, 2006 at 11:35 PM
originally posted by: schwar

I heard that a VB version would likely come when the C# version is complete.
Apr 18, 2006 at 12:24 AM
originally posted by: Garius

SC-BAT guys,
I know we lowly VB developers are often maligned, but we do make up the majority of the .NET developer community. I assume that there is a utility at Microsoft that converts VS2005 C# -> VB (and the other round way as well). Why not just run the utility over the code for each drop and make a VB build for us. We would love to track with the development of SC-BAT, and perhaps even make a contribution. Please make it as easy as possible!
Apr 18, 2006 at 4:36 AM
originally posted by: rlathrop

I'm working on VB versions for SC-Bat and the Guidance Package Development project.

Currently I'm modifying the current SC-Bat package so it outputs the Light Weight Smart Cilent in VB or C# based on a selection in the solution wizzard. I have it about 70% complete and and once it's fairly stable I'll put it up for download. This version is in C# but after I finish it I do plan on converting the entire package to VB as well.

The conversion to VB would be as simple as running a conversion utility if you want to generate C# projects from it but as I discovered when you make it generate VB it's not that simple. Many of the validators and regular expressions used for parsing must be changed to support VB. In particular, parsing generics is quite a bit different in VB do to the number and combinations of parenthesis you encounter in certain situations.
Apr 19, 2006 at 5:23 AM
originally posted by: Sunspot

Garius brings up a valid point concerning VB.Net developers. Our whole company (at the present) consists of VB programmers, not C#. I have some C# exposure, and have no trouble with needing to use C# to further customize the SC-BAT for our particular team development, but it sure would be great to have this thing pump out either C# or VB templates ready to go at some base level functionality. From this point I can pick it up for further modification for our particular needs. We are trying to adopt this stuff as fast as we can, but it's a fair amount of work to install and learn the technology, all the while converting this code, trying to figure out where the errors are coming from (are they code conversion related, or are we not implementing properly?). Any help for us VB'er would be greatly appreciated, besides the fact that it would be much easier to convince staff around here that it really is easy!
Apr 19, 2006 at 12:10 PM
originally posted by: Garius

Sorry to harp on this but I do feel that Microsoft are selling themselves short by not including the VB guys in the development of SC-BAT. Most of the people that I have spoken to about CAB have concluded that it is too complex and walked away from it. I think the VB dev community would rather see you take a 2 month hit on the SC-BAT project and allow them to come on the journey with you. Otherwise you might again finish at a point that leaves all the oo purists and brainiacs absolutlely elated with SC-BAT, and the guys who just want to just grab your stuff and get cracking on plugging business logic into a robust framework and get apps out the door again looking at a huge learning curve (Just like we did with CAB). The associated developer resistance and knock-on management jitters when you tell them that SC-BAT is a good way to go but may add X% to the project would mean the certain death of SC-BAT in many orgainisations before the thing even had a chance to prove itself.
May 1, 2006 at 5:55 AM
originally posted by: eilert

I think this a big problem with all of the projects in P&P.
They all start out as C# project and the C# developers can influence the outcome and the VB developers are presented with the end product and have to use it.

One of the primary reason of having these interim drops is to get timely feedback from the community, and the VB developers schould be able to participate in this.

I brought the same subject up at Service Factory project and the answer I got that since they were developing with agile method there would be constant changes and they do'nt have the resources to translate each drop.
However I feel even if agile development is used you still work to get to some stable point and at that point one could translate to VB. Also agile methodology means you only make small interim changes, which means you you need to translate these changes, if you have the right methodology and tools to track these changes and good translation tools.

Maybe P&P schould start a Language Translation Software Factory project - It will help them too.