Click Once deployment problems

Topics: CAB & Smart Client Software Factory
Jul 18, 2006 at 6:49 AM
originally posted by: ForumUserRCC

I used the SCSF to create a SmartClient project, added modules, etc. which also used third-party controls (Infragistics).
When I just run the application out of VS2005, no issues - shell is presented and the LogonView I expected is there.
When I try to "publish" out of VS2005, I noticed that the "Publish" option out of the Build menu item is only enabled for the Shell. So, that is where I tried to publish from.
When I then try using Click once deployment, when it deploys and starts up, the Shell is displayed, but not the LogonView. I expect that it would load the Logon module just like in VS2005.
I must be missing some place to set something but i haven't found it yet.
Can somebody point me where I should be settting things?
Thanks
Jul 18, 2006 at 7:05 AM
originally posted by: ForumUserRCC

You know, I think i should just pretend to submit a post to these boards and see if I can fool myself. Because as usual, I spend 3 or 4 hours trying to figure something out and can't do it and reach the conclusion I need help. So I post to a message board with a question. But 5 minutes after I post something, I find the answer.

So in my case, when on the "properties" for the Shell project where you enter your Publish options, I had to first click on the "Application files" button which then presents a screen with all the files included. Scrolling down to the ProfileCatalog.xml file, it is defaults as just a "Data File". Change that to "Include" and part of the "Required" download group.

FYI - I also found that I had to add as a "reference" within the Shell project a reference to all the project DLLs. The Shell may not use them directly, but in order for the build I had to include them as a reference. I didn't see how I could include them since in that same "Application Files" area there wasn't a way to insert a line and add the file.
Jul 18, 2006 at 1:03 PM
originally posted by: askew

Thanks for posting. This is a knowledge base, not just a conversation, imho.
Oct 25, 2006 at 10:05 AM
originally posted by: RajSharma

You don't need to actually set a reference to the dll's you require (if they are SCSF/CAB modules), instead add the module dll's as existing items into the Shell project - these should then show up in the Application Files dialog.

---
raj
http://rajsharma109.squarespace.com
Oct 31, 2006 at 5:11 AM
originally posted by: BrianNoyes

You can also use MageUI.exe or a custom tool to add the DLLs into the application manifest after you publish so that they will be pulled to the client as well so that you don't have to introduce coupling into the Shell project to the module DLLs.

You'll be seeing some upcoming guidance on that as part of SCSF in the near future.
Oct 31, 2006 at 6:13 AM
originally posted by: bil_simser

The instructions for deploying an app are in the CAB documentation. Just follow them, add your own dlls, and remember to use mage/mageui to rebuild the manifests. Works great, we do it all the time with much success (I'm still working on automating it through NAnt/MSBuild but manipulating mage from the command line is challenging).
Oct 31, 2006 at 10:18 AM
originally posted by: askew

Nice blog, Raj, you document ClickOnce with SCSF-CAB there.
http://rajsharma109.squarespace.com
Nov 2, 2006 at 3:36 PM
originally posted by: timomsft

The ClickOnce Community Resource Kit is now available for download. It contains both written guidance and a Manifest Manager Utility. A big thank you to Brian Noyes for creating this excellent material.

Enjoy!
Tim
Aug 10, 2007 at 4:26 AM

gdngenericuser wrote:
originally posted by: timomsft

The ClickOnce Community Resource Kit is now available for download.

I think the excellent question here is, "where is it available for download?"
Aug 10, 2007 at 7:49 PM
Hi!

ClickOnce Community Resource Kit is present here, in Codeplex.

You can download it from here

Hope it helps!

Sebastian Iacomuzzi
http://staff.southworks.net/blogs/siacomuzzi