Adapting the block for the Compact Framework

Topics: CAB & Smart Client Software Factory
Mar 19, 2004 at 2:05 AM
originally posted by: pdunleavy

I am attempting to modify the block to run on the
compact framework. I have a project that involves arming the workforce with pocket PCs. I would rather
use the block than have to evaluate and purchase a third party solution as it seems to have everything I need.
The issues I have encountered so far are -

Need to rebuild the project files to target the compact framework.

Have an issue with 'unsafe' code.

Need to find a way to use an App.config file.

I am a VB programmer so I'm struggling through the C# code. Does anyone know if I'm likeley to hit a brick wall and find my attempts unfeasable?
Mar 25, 2004 at 8:40 AM
originally posted by: matiaswoloski

I'm trying to acomplish the same thing. I get an OutOfMemoryException when the Offline block is being built and it tries to load the Caching block.
Were you able to solve it pdunleavy?

thanks,
Matias
Mar 30, 2004 at 2:16 AM
originally posted by: pdunleavy

afraid not, and now due to time pressures I'm having to switch to basing my solution on Taskvision.
Mar 30, 2004 at 6:03 AM
originally posted by: BlaineW

Running on the Compact Framework was not in scope for this version of the Offline Block. This would be a great activity for the community to help with if someone is interested.
Apr 27, 2004 at 6:57 AM
originally posted by: mwatts

I would also like to see the Offline Block running on the Compact Framework.
May 27, 2004 at 11:19 AM
originally posted by: JohnAskew

I thought this WAS scalable to CE !!!!!!!!

May 28, 2004 at 9:56 AM
originally posted by: JohnAskew

http://msdn.microsoft.com/mobility/prodtechinfo/devtools/netcf/default.aspx?pull=/library/en-us/dnppc2k3/html/sometimesoffline2.asp

This link is to a "Sometimes Off-line Compact Framework" article by Christian Forsberg on the MSDN site.

The approach taken in the article is to make web services for Mobile devices very very granular. This may even lend itself to having all the methods of a traditional business object being web-services themselves. Yuk.

I am still a fan of putting CRUD functionality on the business objects themselves and transmitting them in-toto between client and server. This may be too large for Mobile devices. I am considering a "lite" business class library for Mobile devices.

Keep this forum up-to-date, please, gracious Moderators.