Unable to Install...

Topics: Mobile Client Software Factory
Jul 18, 2006 at 5:59 PM
originally posted by: alush

I get a message that the installation is dependant upon Guidance Extensions 1.1.
I have downloaded and installed GAX 20July 2006 CTP.

Still can't install SF and can't seem to locate GAX 1.1.

How about updating SF to use GAX July 2006!
Jul 19, 2006 at 7:06 AM
originally posted by: fkc888

Sorry for the confusion... GAX June 2006 is version 1.1:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/teamsystem/workshop/gat/download.aspx

You will also need GAT which is also available at the above URL.

The MSI check the following registry key:
Root='HKLM'
Key='SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\8.0\Packages\{77d93a80-73fc-40f8-87db-acd3482964b2}'
Value="Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio.RecipeManagerPackage, Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio, Version=1.0.60429.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a"

What error do you get when after you installed the new GAX?
Jul 19, 2006 at 1:01 PM

I have downloaded and installed these and still get the error message!

Cheers Andrew Lush
Jul 19, 2006 at 1:53 PM

What specific error do you get?
Jul 19, 2006 at 2:16 PM

This installer requires the Guidance Automation Extensions ver. 1.1 which is not present on the computer. Please install it and try again.
Jul 20, 2006 at 7:52 AM

Please check your registry for the following key:

Root='HKLM'
Key='SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\8.0\Packages\{77d93a80-73fc-40f8-87db-acd3482964b2}'
Value="Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio.RecipeManagerPackage, Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio, Version=1.0.60429.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a"

This should be set by the GAX install.
Jul 20, 2006 at 12:10 PM

Mine registry says

Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio.RecipeManagerPackage, Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio, Version=1.0.51206.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a
Jul 25, 2006 at 8:19 AM

Try uninstalling GAT, then uninstalling GAX, then reinstall GAX and GAT from:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/teamsystem/workshop/gat/download.aspx

Looks like you still have the previous version installed.
Aug 16, 2006 at 1:02 AM
originally posted by: diderick

This morning i downloaded GAX & GAT from the mentioned url. I get the same error about missing ver. 1.1.
Tried removing & reinstalling several times.

Now if i try downloading the june ctp again, the file seems to be missing:

The requested URL /download/e/e/2/ee255610-16e1-4ba1-9777-b45815983319/GuidanceAutomationToolkit.msi was not found on this server.

Also, the mentioned registry key's are not there, i'm going to enter them manually and see what happens....
Aug 16, 2006 at 3:18 AM
originally posted by: dcazzulino

The following entry may help with uninstallation: http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=548419&SiteID=1
As of the CTP not being available at MSDN, I'll let Per jump in ;)
Aug 16, 2006 at 9:20 PM

I installed GAX & GAT june ctp, they work in VS2005 pro. I can acces the menu's and use the GA functions.
The mentioned registry keys are not present on my system. There's not even a "packages" key present.

I assume that the mcsf installer checks for this key, because i still get the "ver. 1.1 not present" error.

If i check under add/remove programs and look at the support info for GAX or GAT, it says version 1.051104. This seems to be an older version. But i never downloaded or installed any other version than the june ctp. And i'm am absolutely sure that i am installing june ctp gax & gat.
Aug 17, 2006 at 2:37 AM
originally posted by: dcazzulino

The safest way to see the version of GAX/GAT you're installing is by looking at the properties (Version) from one of its assemblies, for example c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\PublicAssemblies\Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.dll.
File Version should be 1.0.60613.0
Assembly Version should be 1.0.60429.0

Also, make sure you're installing the very latest version of the MCSF.
Aug 17, 2006 at 7:25 AM

I think i found the problem.
I use xp 64bit, so for some dark reason, all registry values go here:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\VisualStudio\8.0\Packages\

I tried to copy the specific entry to:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\8.0\Packages\

But i still get the error....
I checked the assemblies, they are all there and the right version, so that's not the problem. As i said in my earlier post, GAX & GAT work from vs2005, no problems there. And to rule out any other problems, i just installed the Smart Client factory. It installs and works without any problems and again i can use everything from within vs2005.

I cannot think of anything else than a glitch in the mcsf installler.

I'm lost....
Aug 22, 2006 at 7:21 AM
originally posted by: FrancisCheung

Also try the following steps to uninstall GAT/GAX:

First try to uninstall all guidance packages cleanly:
1. If they were installed through an MSI, try to remove it using Add/Remove Programs.
2. If they were installed using code, open the solution and run GAT’s Unregister recipe

Make sure you do not uninstall GAT until all code-registered packages have been removed!

If there are packages that cannot be removed, here is how to remove them manually:
1. Open C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Recipe Framework\ReceipeFramework.xml
2. Remove any or all of the <GuidancePackage> elements from the file (actually it’s a good idea to paste them into another window so you know which packages you have to clean out of the registry), and save the file
3. Open the registry and look for the following keys under HKLM\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\8.0
o Packages\{77d93a80-73fc-40f8-87db-acd3482964b2}\Templates : Delete all subkeys that refer to guidance packages you don’t want any more (they will have GUIDs as their key names)
o Languages\CodeExpansions\CSharp\Paths : Delete all values that refer to guidance packages you don’t want any more
o Menus : Delete all values that refer to guidance packages you don’t want any more (they will probably be at the bottom after all the ones named after GUIDs)
o NewProjectTemplates\TemplateDirs : Expand each of the subkeys (they will have GUIDs as names) and expand the /1 key below that. If you find one whose (Default) value is named after an unwanted guidance package, delete the entire GUID key and the /1 key below that.
4. If any of the guidance packages you removed manually were installed from an MSI, run msizap to clean up the MSI-related registry settings.
Aug 22, 2006 at 7:47 AM
originally posted by: FrancisCheung

What error message are you seeing?

"This installer requires the Guidance Automation Extensions ver. 1.1 which is not present on the computer."

or

"This installer requires the Guidance Automation Toolkit ver. 1.1 which is not present on the computer."

If you error message is regarding the Toolkit, the installer is looking for the following registry key:

Root=HK Classes Root
Key=Installer\Products\29FFECACD566E7A4C9F8E5080B166010
Name=Version

If the Version key does not exist or is empty, the installer will display the error message.
Aug 22, 2006 at 8:34 PM

Thanks for your time.

I get the toolkit error.
Checked and the registry key is there, Version=16828320 (dec)

I already removed and reinstalled everything, even manually checking the registry as you described in your earlier post.

I installed (and removed and reinstalled...) all the other factories without a problem.
I still think it has something to do with xp 64bit version and the mcsf installer.
Aug 24, 2006 at 2:07 AM
originally posted by: HansMank

Hello!

I have exactly the same problems as diderick...
I have also a Windows XP 64bit edition. I installed the GAT and GAX from June 2006 and verified that they work in VS2005. I also checked the registry as mentioned in this thread...

However the MobileClient installer gives me the following error: 'This installer requires the Guidance Automation Toolkit ver. 1.1 which is not present on the computer. Please install it and try again.'

Thanks in advance!