Debugging mobile applications

Topics: Mobile Client Software Factory
Nov 9, 2006 at 1:56 AM
originally posted by: mccoolm

I am trying to debug the adventure works to go application. However I keep getting the following message

The remote connection to the device has been lost. Please verify the device connection and restart debugging.

I am using the Pocket PC Windows Mobile 5 emulator. Has anyone encountered this problem. Is there a fix for it ?
Nov 9, 2006 at 8:15 AM
originally posted by: herocomplex

Oh God, good luck. The connectivity with the emulator is absolute CRAP! I lose connection constantly at random points. Sometimes rebooting the emulator helps, sometimes restarting VS helps, sometimes removing all breakpoints helps, sometimes using a different emulator (ie smartphone) helps. I've even tried ActiveSync 4.5 Beta and now I'm trying the Beta VS service pack. It's so bad for me that it is seriously hindering my development.

I'm really beginning to lose my patience over this. Does anyone have real advice on this?
Nov 9, 2006 at 9:24 AM
originally posted by: dcazzulino

You should first check if this happens against a real device.

I strongly advise you to use a real device for developing and testing. Is WAY faster for everything.
Nov 9, 2006 at 1:27 PM

Thanks for the tip. Waiting on a Symbol MC70. I've been curious about performance comparisons between a device and the emulator for some time.
Dec 7, 2006 at 3:03 PM

UPDATE:
I'm actually still having major Lost Connection problems with actual devices. If anyone else is interested in this issue you might follow the thread here...trying to get help from MS.

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=993065&SiteID=1&mode=1