Confused over the Password Authentication Block

Topics: Mobile Client Software Factory
Aug 11, 2006 at 4:28 AM
originally posted by: GrimDog

Hello all,

First off, thanks for the wonderful framework. Now on to my questions :) I am trying to port an existing win mobile 5 application that I have to the mcsf and I am running into problems with the password authentication block. I have looked at the RI and the labs but I cannot get my hands around it.

My application runs 99% of the time outside of the corporate enviroment and communicates solely over GPRS to the central offices and my users must be able to authenticate offline. To accomplish this, when the user attempts to authenticate to my system, I first check to see if the credentials have been stored on the devices sql mobile db, if they are not I attempt to perform the authentication via a web service. If this authentication is successful, I store the credentials locally in the mobile db. The only flaw in this system so far has been if a new user trys to authenticate on a device that has no connectivity, but this instance has yet to occur since the devices are assigned to one user at this time and are preloaded with their credentials.

So, I have two questions.

1. Will I be able to use the password authentication block to perform the authentication that I require or will I have to use my current model?
2. This being my first foray into enterprise mobile development, is my current authentication method flawed and should be scrapped for something better?
Aug 15, 2006 at 8:42 AM
originally posted by: GrimDog

i guess noone has done an implementaition of this block with multiple logins yet
Oct 3, 2006 at 3:14 AM
originally posted by: johnkattenhorn

Hi GrimDog,

I've just come across your post on the site and are at exactly the same stage as you. I also want to cache the credientals locally, (but i'm going to expire them after to certain period of time), if they either do not exist or have expired i have a WebService which allows them to authenicate back to the central system.

What conclusions did you draw around this part of the MCSF ? Is there any chance of us sharing some ideas / code ?

Thanks

John