Mobile CAB - Background Worker

Topics: Mobile Client Software Factory
Nov 4, 2006 at 5:33 AM
originally posted by: johnkattenhorn

Hi,

I'd like to create modules which are allowed to be run in the background, i've extended the launch item and launcher program to indicate that a module is designed to be run in the background. The launch processes each controller marked as background into a seperate thread and calls the child.run method.

In the OnRunStarted method of the Controller i then want to kick off a time based process which performs a function each x minutes.

I noticed that Desktop CAB actually has a decidated background worker process. Does the Mobile CAB have this functionailty ?

Does this sound like the best wait to go ?

Thanks

John
Jan 6, 2007 at 7:09 AM

Hi,

Sorry to be a pain but does anyone have any views on this or done something similar ? I've come to a bit of halt on this project as i've been unable to come up with a way of doing this properly.

As a secondary question does anyone know of a consultancy or company based in the UK that could help with our mobile solution i.e. A review and suggestion for improvements + help with this issue ?

Happy Christmas and New Year anyway!!

Thanks

John
Jan 9, 2007 at 6:55 AM
originally posted by: dcazzulino

Isn't a combination of a System.Threading.Timer + ThreadPool.QueueUserWorkItem enough?
The background worker in .NET performs a lot of work to do proper marshalling to the UI thread, which you may not need.
Jan 10, 2007 at 7:36 AM

Hi,

Thanks for the response, i think your right although i wanted to try to keep it nice and tidy with the launcher stuff that you had put together as i really like the approach.

Could you point me at any examples of using this in compact framework ? If you were going to integrate this into the launcher / mobile cab could you point me in the right direction ?

Thanks

John