Agile Methodology

Topics: Mobile Client Software Factory
Sep 25, 2006 at 12:10 PM
originally posted by: m_a_madero

What methodology do you use?
We are planning to start using Scrum, XP or something else in our develpment and wanted to know what methodologies have worked for you. Specially for the guys at p&p and MCSF team.

Thanks
Sep 25, 2006 at 2:19 PM
originally posted by: dcazzulino

I've worked with both XP (CAB and the beginning of MCSF) and Scrum (MCSF), and from a developer's point of view, I felt that XP was more intuitive. Of course, when we started with Scrum, I was already biased, so maybe that's the issue ;)

Whichever one you use, a couple of must-haves off the top of my head that worked great:
1 - A single warroom for the entire team.
2 - One-week iterations
3 - Daily standups
4 - Pair-programming as much as possible (ideally once per developer per iteration, I think)
5 - Someone playing the role of the customer on-site (ideally the customer itself, or someone that can make fairly quick decisions on his behalf is also fine).
6 - Testers in the same room.

I know there are more in XP by-the-book, but these were the ones that I feel were instrumental.

HTH
Sep 26, 2006 at 6:53 AM

We have all that, except for someone playing the role of the customer on-site.... but we have weekly meetings with him and are in constant communication through phone, messenger and e-mail.

Thanks for the info...

What about tool support, do you use VSTS? I mean Team Foundation Server to automate some of the tasks and all that. There's a process template for Scrum. We have used the MSF For Agile, but found it kinda odd, but useful at some point.
Sep 26, 2006 at 1:47 PM
originally posted by: dcazzulino

We used TFS throughout the project (it was Beta3 when we started!).
We used both the Agile and Scrum template, although I believe some customization went through too (although not too much, I believe).
Like I said, being used to the Agile-way, Scrum sometimes felt lacking, but I may be biased, and probably we adopted Scrum too late in the game too, meaning we may not have adopted it fully (I can only speak from the developer's point of view, though)
Sep 26, 2006 at 2:27 PM

Daniel:
Thanks for the info.