VSTS testing tools

Topics: Mobile Client Software Factory
May 10, 2006 at 6:16 AM
originally posted by: AndyCW

What are your intentions for the VSTS unit testing tools?

Will you allow tests to be run from Test manager or Test View in Visual Studio 2005, that execute on the device, and where test results are sent back to the desktop for viewing in VS2005, in the same way as for desktop tests?

- Andy
May 10, 2006 at 7:41 AM
originally posted by: aaronhbridges

I am also very interested in this subject. I am at MEDC in Vegas and there are P&P team sessions on TDD and on running unit tests in VS.Net, the emulators, and devices so chances seem good that all of these things can be done.

In addition, what options will we have for automation of the tests with continuous integration tools? Will it be possible to script test execution?

It looks like the P&P team is doing some great work enabling us to be agile on mobile development.

-Aaron
May 19, 2006 at 2:17 PM
originally posted by: sriram_2001

I'm happy to finally be able to talk about this.

We in the Visual Studio for Devices team are doing exactly this for Orcas - integrating device unit testing support with VSTS. So yes, you'll be run tests from inside the test manager onto the emulator,etc

We're still in early phases though - so any feedback, feature requests, please send it to me at sriramk at microsoft.com. I would love to hear from you on what you would like to see (or not see :) )

Sriram Krishnan
May 20, 2006 at 6:12 AM
originally posted by: JohnSocha

Building a test runner wasn't originally in the plan for this project. We built the test runner so we could run our unit tests on the device. The current version does write the results to a text file, so you can pull that back to the desktop and view it in Excel.

I realize this doesn't answer the question about intergration with Visual Studio. As Sriram pointed out, there are plans to have a full test runner in the next version of Visual Studio. It would certainly be nice to integrate our test runner, but we don't have time to do that before we ship on June 30.

As to working with a continuous integration server, that is something we need as well. We're about to start a short spike to see what would be involved in setting this up. With any luck, we'll have something before the end of the project.

Finally, if you have suggestions for feedback, please let us know so we can incorporate your feedback and suggestions into future releases.

John Socha-Leialoha