Using the Deck Workspace

Topics: CAB & Smart Client Software Factory
Dec 21, 2005 at 7:22 AM
originally posted by: Saramcc

Can someone please explain to me how the Deck workspace works? Here is my scenario:

I have a Deck Workspace on my shell. I have 3 modules that each inject a smartpart into the deck workspace at startup. Two of the modules are dependant on the first module, so they load after the first module. Consequently, the smartpart from the third module (last to load) is what is displayed when the app starts. However, I want the smartpart from the first module to display.

Without requiring the Shell to explicitly know about the modules (and their smartparts), how can I tell the Deck Workspace to show my desired control?

I guess my impression was that the Deck workspace was something like the Tab workspace, in that multiple views (smartparts) could be contained in it and I could switch between them programmatically. But this does not seem to be the case.

Thanks!
Dec 21, 2005 at 10:34 AM
originally posted by: BradWilsonMSFT

Think of the deck workspace like a deck of cards. At any time, you can only see one card. You can move a card from the top of the deck elsewhere so that you can see the next card.

Or, alternatively, think about it as a tabbed workspace, except without tabs (so the only way to move from tab to tab is programmatically).

If you want actual tabs, use the TabWorkspace.
Dec 21, 2005 at 12:51 PM
originally posted by: Saramcc

Thanks! That's the way I thought it was supposed to work. I must be being very slow today because I'm just not seeing how I 'move the cards' around, but I'll work with it some more. I don't want actual tabs.
Dec 21, 2005 at 3:19 PM
originally posted by: BradWilsonMSFT

Calling show on the workspace with the smartpart you want to show is how you do it (ditto for the tab workspace, although since it's a tab, you can also use the tab API).