Using CAB with Forms

Topics: CAB & Smart Client Software Factory
Feb 9, 2006 at 6:34 PM
originally posted by: JulioCasal

I found that CAB only works with user controls, rather than with forms. I have lots of forms that I show in my MDI form, and I cannnot convert all those forms to user controls, because of different factors.

So my question is: Is there any way of keep using forms but at the same time take advantage of all CAB services? I mean, can I get rid of the workspaces and just keep using my regular MDI with my regular forms and still use CAB?

Thanks!
Feb 9, 2006 at 10:21 PM
originally posted by: eugeniop

The "AppraiserWorkbench" example included in SC-BAT(1) uses Forms and UderControls.

The AvailableAppraisals "view" is a form:

SmartPart
public partial class AvailableAppraisalsView : Form, IAvailableAppraisalsView
{

(1) Smart Client Baseline Architecture Toolkit: http://practices.gotdotnet.com/projects/scbat
Feb 10, 2006 at 6:04 AM

Thank you Eugenio. I have seen that sample before, but there you are showing the form in a Modal form. What I would like to do is to show my form in a modless way inside my MDI application. I tried to do that using a TabWorkspace and a DeckWorkspace, but both ways I got an error because both workspaces are controls and I cannot add a form to a control. Is there any way I can get that effect, even not using any workspace? Is that possible?

Thanks!
Feb 10, 2006 at 7:50 AM
originally posted by: jolu1977

You could create you own custom MDIWorkspace that excepts forms instead of views.
Feb 10, 2006 at 9:55 AM

Well, seems like I finally got what I wanted. I'm just not using any workspace in my application, and it works like any MDI Application, with child forms.
Feb 10, 2006 at 1:26 PM
originally posted by: sreeku

jcasal, could you please explain how you fixed your problem? I am using the windowsworkspace and I am getting the error when I tried to use a form in the workspace. I've posted my question in the other thread...
http://www.gotdotnet.com/codegallery/messageboard/thread.aspx?id=22f72167-af95-44ce-a6ca-f2eafbf2653c&mbid=c09776ca-f94c-4c83-a80c-75d381cabdd6&threadid=0a9a22fa-3833-48aa-a575-45c6278725bf