Connection Detection

Topics: CAB & Smart Client Software Factory
Nov 15, 2005 at 6:22 AM
originally posted by: Michelotti21

I wrote a connection detection library in a previous application (I had based it on the connection detection that was found in the old Smart Client Application Block). I am now looking at converting that to work with CAB and am trying to figure out the best way to incorporate it.

I'm thinking I should be adding it as a "service" so that multiple modules can use it but am having difficulty. Should I not be making it a "service" but rather a simple "non-cab aware" dll that anyone can make a reference to? Should I be making it a module?

The API for the connection detection is pretty straight forward (e.g., a ConnectionStateChanged event) but I'm having some confusion as to the best way to incorporate this into CAB. Any guidance would be much appreciated.
Nov 15, 2005 at 6:23 AM
originally posted by: Michelotti21

Just to clarify (if I wasn't clear before) this connection detection was for a smart client app to automatically detect if it currently had an internet connection availabe on the client.
Nov 15, 2005 at 9:49 AM
originally posted by: BradWilsonMSFT

I think that it belongs as a service. If you make it a module, it will be easier to reuse across applications.