Commercial applications using CAB

Topics: CAB & Smart Client Software Factory
Dec 7, 2006 at 11:53 PM
originally posted by: Autocrat

A member of the community asks:

"Hi,

We are thinking of using CAB in our project consiting of 10 - 18 developers.

A couple of us have done the Hands-On lab and found that CAB has a great potential. However, since it is relatively new, we want to do a bit more investigation before deciding to go ahead with it.

Are you aware of any large commercial projects that are using, or better still successfully compeleted using CAB? Also, we are interested in looking at how large projects structure their projects using CAB (e.g. Where does the data layer fit in).

Thanks for your help in advance."

Can anyone from the team with more experience (or otherwise) help answer these questions?
Perhaps you could all stand up and tell us what you are using CAB for, the size of your dev teams and applications, etc? Would be very interesting.

Thanks,

Matthew Cosier
Dec 8, 2006 at 3:48 AM
originally posted by: bil_simser

I've had tremendous success building business apps with it at our organization and basically if there's a need for a rich client, then CAB is generally looked at first (over a fat WinForms client). As for where the data layer fits in, we use CodeSmith to generate the data access point then access it via web services in a Service Agent, but it's up to you how you do that. The dev teams are generally small (2-3 devs, 1 architect/dev, 1 BA, 1 QA, 1 customer) but I'm keeping them small as we use Scrum to manage that process. As for really successful commercial ventures, check out Sam Gentile's blog as they do weekly iterations with CAB and have a lot of great posts on their experience.
Dec 8, 2006 at 7:50 AM
originally posted by: techtickler

As far as I know: Dell, Thomson Financial and the Commonwealth Bank of Australia use CAB.
Dec 13, 2006 at 11:10 PM
originally posted by: pyhavaim

We are using CAB with great success, what I suggest is to make a small test project. As my experience after the third project everything seems to be clear and make a total sence. When I look the first project that we made, then there is a big mess :)

Best practice is to use SCSF + CAB

GAT and GAX helps a lot

And data persistence we're using NHibernate 1.2

And NUnit offcoure for test driven development to ensure that everything works!!!
Dec 14, 2006 at 7:02 AM
originally posted by: techtickler

Nice comments. I am planning to convert a Web application to CAB and your list of tools will help me.
Dec 15, 2006 at 4:46 AM
originally posted by: Jrad

Hi,
Anyone in the UK using CAB and/or SCSF applications?

Anyone here also using Deklarit (that doesn't hang out on the DK forum!!)
(www.deklarit.com)

Rgds
John
Dec 16, 2006 at 6:27 AM
originally posted by: cwchong

Hi Pyhavaim,

I have used NHibernate in a small project and found it quite useful. Could I ask what method you use to perform queries? e.g. using the fairly limited but strongly typed Criteria method, or the string-base HQL?