OT: Dynamic (Random) Assembly Names

Topics: CAB & Smart Client Software Factory
Jan 16, 2006 at 6:37 PM
originally posted by: mhildner

This is probably off-topic, or just my lack of understanding. I apoligize for the first, but not the latter<g>.

When I iterate through the loaded assemblies via something like

private void DisplayLoadedAssemblies()
{
Assembly[] assemblies = AppDomain.CurrentDomain.GetAssemblies();
foreach (Assembly a in assemblies)
{
AssemblyName an = a.GetName();
ListViewItem item = new ListViewItem(an.Name.ToString(), 0);
item.SubItems.Add(an.Version.ToString());
this.lvAssemblies.Items.Add(item);

Debug.WriteLine(a.ToString());
}
}

I end up with a couple or few 8 character assembly names which have the same version as Microsoft.CompositeUI*, albeit with the dynamicaly named assembly. I've searched and googled and posted on forums to no avail.

I don't think this is CAB specific, as I've seen this with VS 2003, but I'm at a loss here.
Jan 17, 2006 at 1:58 AM
originally posted by: Darrenarbell

Not sure if this answers the question. But I've found dynamic assemblies occur when your doing xml serialization e.g. webservice proxies. Thats not saying there won't be other occasions when this may happen. To avoid this use the "generate serialization assembly" option in your build properties.
This is probably off topic. But I couldn't find anything with google either when investigating this.
Jan 17, 2006 at 6:05 AM
originally posted by: mhildner

Thanks for the reply. You're right about the web services - I see a dynamically named assembly with the same version as one of my modules right after I call a web service.

There's also a dynamically named assembly with the same version as the CompositeUI .dll's - so there must be another reason for this.

Apologies again for the OT post - I googled like crazy trying to find any info on this and could not find anything.

Mike