Newbie to CAB, couple of questions

Topics: CAB & Smart Client Software Factory
Feb 11, 2006 at 1:21 PM
originally posted by: sklett

Hello,

I have been designing our next suite of applications and came across the CAB while looking into the Data Application Block. I'm not a VERY experienced .net developer and I had hoped to ask some questions here to get a better feel for how CAB can solve some of my issues.

I have been looking over the sample projects and at this point, I'm a little overwhelmed ;) There are many new technologies for me understand and learn about. Anyway, here are my questions:

1) Suppose I have a ShellApplication with 3 modules; 'User Manager', 'Inventory Manager' and 'Busines Process Manager' - what facility is there in the CAB to share data across the modules? In other words, if I wanted 'Busines Process Manager' to check inventory using 'Inventory Manager', what classes should I be looking at?

2) Are there any Use Case diagrams that I can cross reference with the samples? I am also in the process of learning about Use Cases and how to define logical modules based on the Use Cases. If I could see a Use Case, then see how the pros implement modules based on the use Cases that would be very valuable.

3) If you wanted to share a single class instance, say a logging class across all modules, what approach would you all take to that? Singleton that is initialized in the ShellApplication initialization?

That's it for now, I will continue pouring over the samples and try and get my head around this new architecture. I have never worked with anything this complex in the past (I've really only written plugins to 3D Animation programs in the past, not much windows development)

Anyway, thanks for reading and I will of course appreciate any help you all can offer me. This looks like a really exciting framework, I hope I can learn it well enough to use it for my current project(s).

Thanks,
Steve
Feb 11, 2006 at 3:01 PM
originally posted by: sklett

wow, I found the "hands on lab" - I think that should answer just about all my questions and MORE. :)