Applicability to v 1.1 of the .NET Framework

Topics: CAB & Smart Client Software Factory
Jul 16, 2005 at 7:18 AM
originally posted by: PeterB

I've just downloaded the block and will begin digging through the code in Whidbey -- in the meantime, I have a basic question that I couldn't find answered yet on the message boards.

To wit: to what extent can those of us working with production applications running on v 1.1. of the Framework make use of this block? I have a hunch the answer is that all the design principles can be applied in v 1.1, but implementation will necessarily be different in many areas.

At any rate, I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has thoughts about, or has made an effort toward applying, the great ideas contained in CAB to 1.1. TIA
Jul 17, 2005 at 7:44 AM
originally posted by: eugeniop

Hi Peter -

CAB is designed to be a .NET 2.0 guidance offering mainly. We publish it in source code (and tests) to enable broad spectrum use of it either using it as it is, by extending it through the provided extensibility points or even modifying it. Our licensing agreement allows you to do whatever you want with the code, even reusing only parts of it.

I think you are right when you say that there are many design principles in CAB that can definitely be applied to .NET 1.1 and be implemented in that version of the CLR as well. There are some obvious things that need to change (like generics use), but it should be fairly narrowed in scope and more or less easy to identify.

However, I'm not sure this is the scenario you are describing. From what you described it's obvious you already have .NET 1.1 apps running. Are you looking at embedding this apps in CAB (that is, running .NET 1.1 "parts" in a CAB .NET 2.0 shell)? That's an interesting scenario.

Actually interop, "client side integration" of apps is something we see quite frequently with CAB and CAB like solutions (for example embedding web apps in SmartParts, or embedding 3270 screens, etc.)

Could you please provide more detail?

Thanks!
eugeniop
Jun 8, 2006 at 12:22 AM
originally posted by: daghb

Hi, I think I may have the exact same issue. We're developing a large scale CAB based application. Nevertheless, there is also another app written in .NET 1.1 that I would like to integrate with. The "other app" is some sort of a "portal" win app which kicks off other programs, like mainframe terminal emulators, web browser, other .NET apps etc. Of course, I could take the approach if also kicking the .NET 2.0 CAB app when needed - but a lot more user friendly approach would be to allow a CAB module initialize itself on the "dashboard" canvas of the hosting .NET 1.1 app. Any idea on how this may be accomplished without porting the "portal" app to .NET 2.0?

Thanks,
DagH