Load Module on demand

Topics: CAB & Smart Client Software Factory
Jul 27, 2005 at 10:44 AM
originally posted by: plombaer

Consider I have many modules containing each WorkItem, Controller, Service, Forms, UserControls.
I wont need to load all those modules when my main process starts but more when the user requests the functionality.
How can I achieve this and how can I access all what is contained in the module.

Thanks in advance,
Philippe
Aug 5, 2005 at 5:01 AM
originally posted by: EdJez

Right now we are thinking about this area hard and would like you to please describe more your requirements

For example, would it wok if modules, and module initializers, could all be made optionally specific to a set of workitem types, so the module gets loaded and initialized in the context of that work item, only when the application actually brings it up?
Aug 5, 2005 at 9:55 AM
originally posted by: JGlynn

That would be a start. Having a module per assembly is thing that I question. What is the thinking behind that? If I have a large application with several hundred views and what would appear to be several hundred workitems, I could end up with a bunch of assemblies. I would like to be able to combine related modules into the same assembly perhaps. Maybe this won't be a problem, but something about it sorta smells funny ;-).
Aug 6, 2005 at 4:57 AM
originally posted by: JGlynn

Thinking about this some more and here are a couple of other things that I would like to see:

1. A lazy load feature, something like you descibed. I think this would be very important. We are working on a an app that has a wide range of functionality for the user. There will be days when a user will not use funcatinality A or functionality B. It would be nice to not have to load or initialize things until they are asked for.

2. To be able to re-init a module. For example the user does functionality A. They then are using functionality B. They then go back to A. I could see scenarios that would require A to be re-initialized.

An idea for this would be a couple of attributes in the catalog. I like the idea of having the modules in the catalog so I can set up different profiles. But marking a mdule as "lazy load" and/or "re-initable" (is that a word?) would be a nice feature.
Sep 22, 2005 at 5:48 AM
originally posted by: jnicholsonfl1

I, too, am in need of the capability of adding/removing WorkItems dynamically. My initial cursory examination of the code in the labs led me to believe this was possible but this post has brought that belief into question. Can someone answer definitively whether this is possible?