save the last used module or view

Topics: CAB & Smart Client Software Factory
May 31, 2006 at 2:56 PM
originally posted by: sklett

I have the typical "Outlook style" interface with the buttons on the left representing different modules in my cab application. It's been requested that upon application startup, the last active module or view to be more accurate, be loaded. The problem is I'm not seeing an appropriate place to perform this operation. Each of my modules load their view and they all try and show their own view (their 'default' view in the case of many) but the last module loaded wins. I thought about having each module check to see if it was the last utilized module, but I can't think of a clean way to do that either.

Anyone done this? If so, how did you approach it?

Thanks for reading,
Steve
Jun 1, 2006 at 3:02 AM
originally posted by: davidlaribee

Steve,

Just a thought...

You could make a service responsible for "storing/retrieving" the last active workitem (registry, user settings/config file, etc.). You could then imperitavely call this service at the end of the startup sequence to activate that last workitem.

As time goes on you could extend this service to store information about modules, workitems, and views. In this way you could have the last workitem activated / view opened display when a module is activated.

/ David