Third party control suites

Topics: CAB & Smart Client Software Factory
Jul 12, 2005 at 5:30 AM
originally posted by: PhilipLee

As a user of DevExpress components it would be nice if the the workspace code could be abstracted so as to allow the use of third part control suites.

For instance, WindowForm would need to inherit from XtraForm, and DeckWorkspace and SmartPartPlaceholder would need to inherit from XtraControl to enable DevExpress' look and feel technology. Do you think there's any way of dealing with this issue apart from editing and recompiling?
Jul 12, 2005 at 3:07 PM
originally posted by: tymberwyld2

I use DevExpress a lot as well (much more stable than Infragistics). I would be interested in any suggestions as well.

Really I've just started to delve into this, but in my opinion, this is a tough one. It would seem that in order to support 3rd party controls (like DevExpresses XtraForm & XtraControl) that Interfaces would need to be created that both WinForms AND any Form inheriting from XtraForm would need to implement. This would probably be a redesign of the CompositeUI in order to accomplish this. I am currently working on that as we speak =P.
Jul 12, 2005 at 4:47 PM
originally posted by: jolu1977

The idea was that to support third party controls the developer would have to implement the IWorkspace interface. This means you would have to create you own class inheriting from the control then implement IWorkspace much like the TabWorkspace. It is up to the developer to decide on the action when a smart part is shown, hidden or closed. I realize this is a pain to have to make wrappers for all the third party controls that are desired to be workspaces but it is the simplest approach for now.
Jul 15, 2005 at 7:14 AM
originally posted by: PProvost

Basically we created the WinForms project to be just that: A UI Layer that is for out-of-the-box Windows Forms controls and classes.

Our plan was that if you want to use DevExpress, then you would create a DevExpress project and start implementing the necessary interfaces.

Please post your progress and such to the message boards. We are all interested in helping out.
Jul 19, 2005 at 9:33 AM
originally posted by: Lemon8

My company also uses DevExpress and will be looking into developing Workspaces using the DevExpress Suite. We will be happy to share our efforts.
Jul 19, 2005 at 2:16 PM
originally posted by: Cubes

Could Microsoft please just buy DevExpress and release their control suite as System.Windows.Forms? They are so much better than the current Windows.Forms implementation.
Jul 19, 2005 at 3:08 PM
originally posted by: tymberwyld2

So true. As far as 3rd party controls go, DevExpress is going to be hard to match once their new suite of Scheduling Controls and PIVOT Grid come out. I've never had a problem with their controls, unlike every other suite!
Jul 21, 2005 at 4:03 AM
originally posted by: Artem

Another approach would be for DevExpress to support CAB. realistic?
Aug 26, 2005 at 9:16 AM
originally posted by: PhilipLee

Here's some good news. DevExpress support have just told me they will be supporting CAB in future releases of their suite.
Aug 27, 2005 at 4:00 AM
originally posted by: kljones16

Cool beans!
Aug 31, 2005 at 3:48 AM
originally posted by: AlexFed

Our company uses Infragistics' NetAdvantage suite. They also have confirmed that they will be supporting CAB in the future.
Sep 21, 2005 at 3:22 AM
originally posted by: Shima

This is from DevExpress support team:
------------------
We've investigated the Composite UI Application Block pattern and could not find any problem with using our controls in this scenario. Binding and navigation are the same as in a normal application. Here is a quote from the document you gave us the link:

"The idea was that to support third party controls the developer would have to implement the IWorkspace interface."

This means you would have to create you own class inheriting from the control then implement IWorkspace much like the TabWorkspace. It is up to the developer to decide on the action when a smart part is shown, hidden or closed."

As for control containers such as a form or a UserControl, you can use those, which are already included in the CAB framework. That is, you don't have to implement the IWorkspace interface for our XtraForm and XtraUserControl components. If you prefer the XtraUserControl to a standard UserControl, you can use the Xtra control docked to a standard one with the Fill dock style.

Currently, we are not planning to create a library with descendants from our XtraForm, XtraUserControl and XtraTabControl classes supporting the IWorkspace. Perhaps, we will do it after the VS.NET 2005 release and when the CAB framework is released (currently it's in beta).

Thank you,
Nick

Developer Express Support
-------------
Sep 21, 2005 at 4:04 AM
originally posted by: espice

Good.
Jan 6, 2007 at 7:37 PM
originally posted by: bil_simser

There are two developer express CAB projects that I know of.

Here are the links
http://www.gotdotnet.com/codegallery/codegallery.aspx?id=13b0773f-3e75-47da-9a2a-f32a59050bef
(no ribbon support)

http://www.gotdotnet.com/codegallery/codegallery.aspx?id=0d13451f-60da-47aa-bda6-1e5d2d8fa9ec
(ribbon support but replaces base workspaces which isn't a good approach)
Feb 9, 2007 at 3:22 PM
Is the CAB projects still acive? I have'nt seen any new posts on the CAB - DevExpress projects mentioned above.
Feb 13, 2007 at 10:53 PM
Edited Feb 13, 2007 at 10:56 PM
Yes, the link that the previous post supplied is actually a much better answer than anyone might realise, so allow me to emphasize it.

The answer to the original questions is a very excited Yes, there is something to use DevExpress controls!.
There is already a project called CAB DevExpress Extension Kit. I have made 2 contributions to this recently and I'm assured that another 'release drop' will be issued soon.

CAB DevExpress Extension Kit

There are extensions to CAB to allow you to use the DevExpress controls; to have the XtraForm and all the other good stuff (There's even a NavBarWorkspace to give you the functionality of the Outlook toolbar) within the context of using CAB workspaces.

I'm using this on my current project and I don't know what I'd do without it, actually.
May 2, 2007 at 5:42 PM

PandaWood wrote:

CAB DevExpress Extension Kit

Since gotdotnet is being dropped, is this project going to be ported over to Codeplex? I have made some changes to workspaces (dock major changes) so they work better with more recent releases of DevExpress. But there is no point for me to post there if in a month it is gone.

There is already a project called CAB DevExpress Extension Kit .... I'm assured that another 'release drop' will be issued soon.

Any progress yet?

Thanks,
Jordon
May 2, 2007 at 7:06 PM
Do post it because I and most likely others will use it!!