CAB for dummies

Topics: CAB & Smart Client Software Factory
Jul 10, 2006 at 3:13 PM
originally posted by: kgreed

I am having trouble trying to learn C#, dot net, CAB, smart client all at the same time.
Instead, I thought I might try simply replacing the UI on my VB6 ntier client server style app with CAB

After I understand CAB it should be easier to learn smart client.
Does this seem like a sensible way of breaking things up?
Jul 11, 2006 at 5:37 AM
originally posted by: ChrisHolmes

I would have a hard time learning CAB if I were trying to grasp all of that at one time as well :-)

I suggest getting a good hold on C# and the .NET framework first. Since you are familiar with VB6 it might be worth your time to first convert a VB6 app to VB.NET. That would give you foothold on the .NET framework. Then convert it again to C#, which would give you a grasp of the syntactic differences between VB.NET and C#. Then you could move on to CAB.
Jul 11, 2006 at 8:14 AM
originally posted by: derekgreer

I mostly concur with Chris, but would recommend skipping the VB.Net step just because I feel using similar syntax to learn a completely different paradigm of development can actually prove to be a distraction. Starting with a fresh syntax to learn what for you will be a completely different way to program (both in terms of object oriented concepts and working with virtual machines) can actually work to your advantage. Since there is so much different, you will be less prone to assume you understand something that might not work the way the familiar syntax leads you to believe. Just my opinion of course.

I would give yourself about 6 months of plain C# development before taking on more complex design patterns and frameworks since you will have enough on your hands learning object oriented programming and the base .Net framework.
Jul 11, 2006 at 8:17 AM
originally posted by: ChrisHolmes

Good point Derek. I hadn't thought of it that way, but I agree :)
Jul 11, 2006 at 8:22 AM
originally posted by: derekgreer

This is also my opinion on whether anyone should ever use VB.Net :)
Jul 11, 2006 at 9:43 AM
originally posted by: askew

I agree with you both. I have seen VB 6 programmers go straight to C# and skip VB.NET after I pointed out convincingly that it would take the same amount of time to do either.

When using Delphi, I would constantly inspect the VCL, which is how to approach the C# and .NET paradigm.

Start here: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms306608.aspx

I would like to see a map of the classes in their namespace and object hierarchies. Where to find that poster?