Component Exchange Web Site

Topics: CAB & Smart Client Software Factory
Jan 10, 2006 at 7:55 PM
originally posted by: dpiessens

Hello All,

I just wanted to throw the thought out that we should shart a web site to share services, modules, UIExtensions etc. with other members of the community. If the interest is there I'll start a website to exchange these types of items. Just a side note: I'm in no way trying to circumvent or show up the incredible efforts of the MS team or affiliate the site with them. I just would like to see if there is any interest before going through the effort.

-Dan
Jan 11, 2006 at 3:55 AM
originally posted by: njacobs

I think it's a great idea, Dan.
Regarding your concern about circumventing - I can't speak for them of course, but I would think anything that improves a person's experience with CAB is good for both Microsoft and Patterns & Practices.
Jan 11, 2006 at 5:05 AM
originally posted by: wzack

An excellent idea.
Jan 11, 2006 at 7:12 AM
originally posted by: Robl

Good idea. I suggest we keep it right here in this message board by adding another section, "Component Exchange" rather than moving it to another place that will need to be somehow discovered by new users of the block.
Jan 14, 2006 at 7:54 PM
originally posted by: amishah_2001

If this will be implemented it is a great help. I have seen lots of people are started working on CAB. When i was assigned work on CAB in my project, I was so tensed because of it is totaly new thing and even more difficult to find the detailed samples. so if users can share their code, i think lots of people will get a great help.
Mar 8, 2006 at 7:08 AM
originally posted by: PaulTyson

Excellent Idea
Mar 25, 2006 at 4:17 AM
originally posted by: kennster

Outstanding idea: I always thought CAB was DotNetNuke for WindowsForms. Has anybody had any experience with DotNetNuke here?

Try SnowCovered.com ... has mostly for pay but a bunch of free modules for DotNetNuke: which leads me to the next point: DotNetNuke has a thriving market for third party modules: I should know, my ecommerse module nets me $300-$500.00 a month (I get 37.5% of each sale).

If CAB gets big enough, imagine a thriving market-place like that... where developers can submit thier Widgets for CAB ... and you can resell them for 15% of the sale.

I can't tell you how many times I have googled for any good sample applications like Omar Al Zabir's SmartInstitute Client on codeproject (which has been mentioned here more than once):
http://www.codeproject.com/smartclient/SmartClientSOA.asp

I get a regular woody whenever I play with this outstanding application, and will most likely use it as the framework I use if I ever get the chance to architect an enterprise application in the near future... :)

What would be great would be a fusion of CAB & Omar's SmartInstitue. Has anyone made progress on such a thing?