Is CAB suitable for this

Topics: CAB & Smart Client Software Factory
Jun 6, 2006 at 11:22 AM
originally posted by: JancsiFarkas

Hello,

I have to develop a modular application, prefereable in C#. It should be some sort of container for various modules. These modules interact more or less with eachother.
For example, I need to have a access management module, and for example a calendar module. These two modules should work as independent (each with own forms, UI, etc), but also, for the Calendar module, on some of the forms should be a tab which allows access management for the corresponding item. This tab should be imported from the access management module.

I'm wondering how suitable is CAB for developing this kind of application? Anybody has experience on applying CAB on this kind of modular applications, whith dependencies between modules, and perhaps can give me some guidelines about?

Best regards,
Jancsi Farkas
Jun 6, 2006 at 12:51 PM
originally posted by: eugeniop

From what you describe, it seems to me like spending some time evaluating CAB makes sense.

Also, take a look at the more comprehensive examples that ship with the Smart Client Software factory (based on CAB) here: http://practices.gotdotnet.com/projects/scbat
Jun 6, 2006 at 3:44 PM
originally posted by: ching100

Your requirements are somewhat just what I'm working on. Our project implemented CAB in several independent modules, which contain their own UIs and must be re-used by other modules on demand.

At first , I'd like to use Interface and Reflection to avoid reference between module assemblies, but failed.
My current solution is IWorkItemCatalogService, it works. But also has its disadvantages, I mean not as flexible as Reflection.

So I would say , before you turn to CAB, you must realize that it's not a mature solution and also its resources and support are not easy to get. even my questions in this community were hardly to get an answer.

best regards